Review by Black Star

"Metroid with a tank."

Your pet frog has just taken a sip of radioactive fluid and mutated into a hideous beast. Before you know it, he and the crate of the goo are gone, lost underground. You, being a rash, teenage MORON, decide ''I want my frog back,'' and jump down after it. Down the hole, you find a kickass pink(?) tank, a spacesuit looking outfit, but no Fred(your frog.) You hop in the tank and decide to start looking for him. Open before you is a vast, subterranean world filled with mutant...things that want to kill you because you're not the same shade of grey they are. ...wait a minute. This is REALLY SCREWED UP. There was a vat of DANGEROUS, ILLEGAL radioactive substance sitting right outside of his garage, and an entire WORLD under his small town? If you want to understand this story, follow these steps:
1. Remember where this game came from.
2. Remember what they DID to games back then, translation-wise.

This story seemed a lot more...what's the word...plausible when I was four. Not now. In fact, back then, I thought the story was DAMN cool. Mutant frogs and tanks; what else did a sadistic little child like myself need?

Graphics - 10/10 These are some of the best graphics I've EVER seen on the NES. Everything was nice and rounded, and pixelation rarely showed. And almost everything would flash in the same color pattern(A fast mix of pinkish, white, green, and blue which gave your gun(s) a nice effect.)

Music - 9/10 This is the best use of the NES's crappy sound system I've seen in a long while. Some of the songs were marvelous; and yet others had no thought(Ex: the level 4[Alien/Space Section] music. I could've written that with nothing to use but a scoresheet and a donkey.)

Story - 1/10 Sunsoft B-U-T-C-H-E-R-E-D the story when they brought it to the U.S. Apparently there was a scientist down there as well who would explain the tank in the Japanese version(Although that wouldn't've helped the story make anymore sense.)

Gameplay - 9/10 the controls on this game are wonderful. All that bothers me about it is that when you get out of your tank, it's so hard to judge how high you can jump without hurting yourself. On other jumping notes, the tank rolls when you hit the ground, which I think is pretty cool. ...yep.

All in all, if you don't have this game, FIND IT. You won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/03/02, Updated 03/03/02