Review by BaBang

"Games, Games, Games!"

First of all I would like to say that I loved this game. It is one of my favorites for the NES. The games that are playable, if I remember correctly, are: Roller blading, Skateboarding, BMX, Surfing, Hacky Sack, and Frisbee. My favorite being BMX. I Can't stop with that mountain bike action ;). On to the aspects of the game it's self:

Game play : A little tricky to get used at first, but once you've mastered all of the games, you will keep coming back for more. One of the fun nest games to play since Mario (In my opinion.) One of the best aspects is the multi player. So if you have a friend set him/her down and play some good old California Games.

Controls : This is where the game really shines. And like I said, a little tricky (especially skateboarding *shudders*) But besides that the controls are fairly simple, and easy to use.

Story : Well to tell you the truth, there isn't one. You basically just go around and try to win events. That's it. But it's fun none the less.

Sound : Some may call me crazy but I LOVE the sound effects and music that go with the game. It's a little sharp at times and has fairly low quality. But what do you expect from an NES game? It has that old school Atari feel to it. And thats what I love about this metallic computer like sound!

Replay ability : There is quite a bit of replay value to this game. Although there is no story, the game play alone leaves you coming back for more. So the replay value is quite high. I can't count the hours that I have spent playing Frisbee and Hacky Sack with my brother. Even when we had a Game cube at our disposal, we came back to good old California games. Plus the graphics are quite good for such an old game, so it's pleasing to the eye even after playing newer consoles.

Rent or Buy? : Buy! Buy! Buy! If you can find it that is.... Believe me it will be well worth your money. With six games to play, great controls, great gameplay, and killer sound, and replay value worth 10 games. Why not buy it?

Conclusion : This is one of the best games out there for NES. After playing for just a bit, You're hungry for more. So go out there pick this one up right away. It's a real treat!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/31/02, Updated 07/31/02