Review by VdeBoule

"Xtreme Street Painting? Interesting..."

This is a weird one. I assume there's some sort of story behind it all, but perhaps we're better off not knowing. You control this blond guy in a red station wagon, who, for whatever reason, wants to paint the streets of various major cities across the world white, and has his vehicle equipped for precisely this purpose. But the cops aren't too happy about this, and are chasing after him, setting out spike traps (not spike STRIPS, but big fricking spikes that make your car explode on impact), and... cats holding checkered flags. It's extremely frustrating, a bit too addicting, one of the oddest and most original NES games I've played, and it's made by, of all the companies out there, Jaleco, who I don't think have EVER had another original idea, as long as they've existed. Who'd have thought that before they started churning out Final Fight clones, they actually made a NES game that's both fun and unique?

I'll admit I wasn't expecting much from City Connection (hell, the only reason I played it in the first place is because I was expecting a real stinker that I could laugh at), but I was pleasantly surprised. The game was pretty chaotic the first time I played it (and that's a vast understatement considering the speed at which you're moving and the inability to brake), and extremely unforgiving (you have three lives, and there's no way that I know of to get any more than that), but also very addicting. Once you learn how to handle your card a bit better, and how to properly time your jumps and turns, the game improves drastically. I've yet to beat the third level (as I said, it's really hard), but I'm not tired enough of the game to give up on it. The worst aspect of the game is the limited number of lives, which really requires you to be a perfectionist, and it's very frustrating, without becoming any less addicting. And it's that combination I suppose that'll cause most players to hate it.

All in all, I think it's an interesting game, simple and unique, and a good time killer, but not too much more. If the difficulty was toned down a bit, I could see giving the game as high as a 7, but as it is, the gameplay earns it a solid 5. The extra point is for originality.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/19/03, Updated 05/19/03