Review by Derilaan

"The Game That Won me to RPGs is still worth a Look"

It's not every day one can sit down and review a game that is several years old, but Crystalis is just one of those games that deserves more attention.

Crystalis would be termed an “action RPG” with the effect that battles take place in real time as you wander across the land after a nuclear apocalypse has spread mutants everywhere. Unlike most RPGs, you weren't raised by the village elder while your dad went traveling, you aren't a lost prince and you aren't even really a part of the time period the story takes place in. Instead you literally wake up after a very long sleep, having been put into suspended animation for quite some time.

One of the best parts of this whole game is the story. There are many recurring characters, quite a few who grab your heart. This isn't some fluffy story about saving the princess; a war is going on, and people die in the war. But its this emotional attachment that makes you wonder why you are getting choked up on some guy you met only a few times.

The magic system is wonderful. In your travels you meet many different sages who teach you tricks with your sword as well as give you magic to do everything from telepathy with animals, to disguising yourself as villagers and soldiers.

Along the way you also gain different types of sword power such as fire, thunder and more which help you to solve puzzles during the game as well as keep you out of danger!

If I had one complaint about this game was finding an item towards the end that was necessary to defeat the last boss. You get no real clues to its whereabouts and nothing stops you from heading face-first into trouble, as you are not even able to give damage to the last boss without it!

Crystalis is one of those “oldies but goodies” that not only grabs you, but even years later won't let you go. I really owe my love of RPGs to this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 08/07/01