"Warning: May piss off rabid Nintendo fanboys."

Donkey Kong 3 is what I'd like to call the black sheep of the Donkey Kong family. What about Donkey Kong 64, you ask? Well, you can't blame Rare - They aren't all too good with 3D platformers, and the fact that it felt like a Banjo-Kazooie ripoff really hurt it. But Nintendo's poorly made DK3 is inexcusable. They are professionals in 2D and 3D platform gaming, and shouldn't have made such a stupid game.

Gameplay: 5

As I always do, I'll start by talking about the gameplay, or lack of it. You play as Stanley the Bugman, who just recently learned that Donkey Kong is hanging around in his greenhouse and causing trouble. So he grabs his spray to protect his flowers from the onslaught of bees, and to get DK out. It seems like an interesting concept until you actually play it. There's really no climbing involved (Something people expected with the DK series), you just get as high as you possibly can, knock down the good spray, then grab it and spray wildly into the air until DK ascends to the next level. You might have to kill a bee or 2 if they're trying to steal a flower, but that's often a non-issue. This strategy can be used on each and every level, which is unfortunate, because Stanley could've been used in a better game than this poo.

Graphics: 6

And the graphics. It may be better than the gameplay, but that's not saying much. The graphics are OK, but nothing to get absorbed into. The sprites are messy, and it seems like they just reused the DK sprite from the last 2 games, but edited it to look like he's hanging on 2 vines. Sometimes, you may see a lot of stuff happening at once, which is a plus.

Sound: 5

Then we have the sound, which is superior to the gameplay, but as I said earlier, that's NOT saying much. Really no good music, and the SFX are repetitive and continuous (Like his spray gun, for example).

Ingenuity: 6

While it may be original, ingenuity is often bitter-sweet. It plays nothing like the DK series, which is an innovative crap-up.

Fun Factor: 2

Then the fun factor... if I was locked in a safe with this and a rubix cube, I'd choose the rubix cube.

Replay Value: 2

The replay value, obviously, is piss poor. Who wants to play a bad game for more than 5 minutes, when you could be watching paint dry instead?

Overall: 5

Overall, this is a game that you want to avoid at all costs. It's not worth buying, downloading, or even playing. Save your money for something better.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 06/07/03, Updated 06/07/03