Review by gballer

"This is the definition of a Beat em' Up game."

Introduction- Hello fellow gamers. In this this review I'll be telling you about one of the greatest multiplayer games ever. I'll be informing you on the Graphics, Gameplay, Storyline, Control, Music and Fun Factor. By the end of this review, you'll know why I feel so strongly about this game. So sit back and enjoy.

Graphics- The graphics in this game are very nice for when the game was made. Obviously they wouldn't hold a candle to any of the games made nowadays. You can tell Billy and Jimmy apart by their clothing. Billy wears a blue costume and Jimmy a red one. That is about all the detail those 2 guys have. The levels in this game have some detail to them. In one stage you're inside of this machine it seems, and you can see all of the cogs spinning all over the place. The bad guys take on your traditional Double Dragon bad guy look. The game has a good use of color. This holds especially true in the jungle type stage, lots of trees and water make it look very real. Or as real as it can get for Nintendo. I'd rate the Graphics 8/10

Gameplay- The game play in this game is very simple. You have a variety of moves that you can perform such as, Punch, Kick, Hurricane Kick, Jump Kick, Knee Blast,(that's what I call it)Punch Combo, Kick Combo and a couple of grappling type maneuvers. Some of these moves require you to press both buttons at the same time. However, your most powerful move which is the Knee Blast, takes some time to master. During the game, if your back is turned to someone and you press the punch button a mule kick will come out. They put that in the game so you can keep some distance between you and the bigger opponents. You should be able to figure out every move and how to implement them into your style of play by the end of your first time through the game. The one negative in the gameplay to me is the jumping. In this game they jump very stiff and it might be a little difficult for some intermediate games to handle. You can also use a numerous amount of weapons, such as pipes, grenades and knives. I'd rate the gameplay 8/10

Storyline- I'm going to make this section short and sweet so I don't ruin any of this game for you. You are basically on a mission to avenge the death of Billy's girlfriend. You'll have to face the Double Dragon's biggest enemy. All you fans of the Double Dragon know who that is. I'd rate the story 8/10

Control- The control in this game is very ordinary. Up to move Up and Down to move Down. You get where I'm going with this. Although, as I mentioned in the gameplay section about the jumping, the overall movement of the game is pretty stiff. It's not as free flowing as one would want from a hectic fighting game. Other than that, everything is perfect. I'd rate the Control 7/10

Music- This is tied for the best part of this game. There are 8 levels in this game and I think each song is outstanding. You'll remember each one forever. I have nothing but good things to say about the music. I like how it doesn't have a kid like sound to it, like most Nintendo games. The music in this game is easily a 10/10

Fun Factor- This game can either be pretty fun, or out of this world fun. It all depends one 1 thing, whether or not you play it with a friend. If you're playing by yourself it's a fun game, if you're playing with your friend, it's the best thing you can do in this game. Multiplayer mode is tied with the music as the best part of the game. You could play it all day and not get bored. Who could get bored of wrapping their foot around someone's neck with a devastating Hurricane kick? Not me. I feel that this is one of those games that you could play once a day or once a year and still love it the same. I have to give the Fun Factor 10/10

Closing Thoughts- Overall, I think this is one of the best games on the NES. I can almost assure you that you will not be disappointed by playing this game. But I'm not Joe Namath so I won't guarantee anything. I suggest that you go out and play this game whenever you can. I hope this review has been informative and entertaining. I had the pleasure of making it and I hope you have fun reading it. Good bye and good luck gaming.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/13/04