"Not bad, but there's better basketball games out there...."

When of the NES's first basketball games, Double Dribble is a very decent start, but there's still a long way for improvement. Let's get right to it.

I'm amazed at how many different moves they managed to fit into this game considering that there's only four buttons on the NES controller (Well, 8 if you include all four D-Pad buttons...). The CPU AI is great, especially for an NES game. The only problem is that the odds of whether or not your shot will go in are random and inconsistent, which becomes irritating after a while. Also, a wider selection of teams besides the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. At least they made the right choice of which teams to choose since Double Dribble only has a few, popularity-wise.

I'll give DD this much. It never slows down, and there's no skipping. I know it might sound stange for me to critisize an NES game for its graphics, but honestly, this could've been done on the Atari 2600 easily! I swear I could almost count the number of sprites in this game on one hand. Oh well, at least the half-time show looks decent (although I advise you to skip it just because it's boring).

The sound is easily the best part of this game. The tunes are catchy, making you want to keep playing the game. They never get old, either. The ''swish'' sound you hear when the ball goes through the hoop, the ''beep'' you hear when you steal the ball, the sound you hear when the ball bounces off the back of the rim.....It's all good. If everything about this game was as good as it's sound, this would be the best basketball game ever.

Value: 7/10

There's different difficulty levels for those who feel the urge to master Double Dribble, which is a plus. The replay value in this game is really kind of hard to describe. You might get tired of it quickly, but a few days later, you'll be anxious to play it again. The replay value actually varies quite a bit from person to person, depending on their tastes. If you like basketball, you'll probably be playing it for a while. If you don't, it'll probably collect a lot of dust.

To buy or to rent ? Well, if you're an avid basketball fan, you should probably buy this one. Otherwise, I can't recommend anything more than a rent at the most unless you can buy it for dirt cheap.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/02/00, Updated 09/02/00