Review by Psycho Penguin

"My favorite game in the entire series!"

Dragon Warrior 2 for the Nintendo Entertainment System was a huge disappointment for me, so i had my doubts about this one. But I still purchased it because I gave Enix the benefit of the doubt. And am I glad it did!! Not only is it better than the second, its better than the original!! As a matter of fact, Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is my favorite Dragon Warrior/Quest game ever made (Barely surpassing Dragon Warrior/Quest 4)! Enix really did a great job in making a role playing game that would fit the great quality that the rest of the Dragon Warrior/Quest series has offered, especially after the disappointing Dragon Warrior 2. Dragon Warrior 3 is one of my favorite Nintendo Entertainment System games of all time, and is definetly my second favorite role playing game on the Nintendo Entertainment System, slighty surpassing its predecessor, Dragon Warrior 4, but falling behind Final Fantasy 3 (Famicom). The game just has that certain feel to it, and unlike Dragon Warrior 2 it is not TOO non-linear. Overall, Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System continues the outstanding legacy of the series, and is one of my favorite role playing games of all time!

GRAPHICS (9.1/10)
The graphics are really improved over the first two games in the series, which is to be expected. The world map designs are awesome, and I like the detail put into the castles and towns. The graphics during battle are great. I dislike the fact that there are just the black backgrounds during battle, but the detail in the enemy designs more than makes up for the lack of colorful backgrounds during battle. I think the developers of the game took the time and made some kick ass enemy designs, and decided not to worry as much about the backgrounds. And I do not blame them for this one bit, because I guess they realized that some people might think that the backgrounds in the game were somewhat distracting. So focusing on the enemy designs wasn't a bad idea, in my opinion. Now, of course, the characters cannot be seen during the battle scenes, thanks to the unique perspective of the battle scenes (the enemies are shown, with little boxes above and below them), but outside of battle there is a nice variety to the character designs in the game. This is important because there is a variety of characters to choose from in the game. Overall, the graphics in Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System are far from perfect, but they are perfectly acceptable, even if the game doesn't look as good as Dragon Warrior 4.

MUSIC/SOUND (8.8/10)
The music and sound effects in Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System are great! First, the music. The music in Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is basically some remixed stuff from Dragon Warrior 1, but the remixes of both the overworld and battle themes are really quite good! The battle themes in the game are great, and yes I say THEMES because there is a variety of battle themes in Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. For instance, lets say I am fighting a weak enemy early on in the game. A regular battle theme would play, but when I am fighting a boss a different battle theme will play. The reason I bring this up is because I was mad that part one did not feature this. Sound effect wise, Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is great, as the game features a lot of great sound effects. Basically, you get the basic sound effects that you have come to know and love from the Dragon Warrior series (like the battle sounds of a critical hit and miss) plus some other newer sounds. Overall, the music and sound effects in Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System are great!

CONTROL (9.8/10)
The control in the game is perfect. i have found no problem with the control whatsoever, besides the fact you can't walk
diagonally. This is actually the first game in the Nintendo Entertainment System Dragon Warrior series where I can not find a problem with the control. Overall, the control in Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is incredible, just like it should be in any game!

GAMEPLAY (9.8/10)
When the gameplay has improved so much, where can I start? First off, you start off the quest with no companions to help you out. Each character can be registered at the town for you to take on the quest. Each chraracter has to be a certain class, and there are advantages and disadvantages to each. After reaching Level 20, you can upgrade your class to a sage at the Shrine of Dhama. And unlike the second game, everything is explained, so you'll know where to go next. This is great, because my main problem with Dragon Warrior 2 was the fact that the game was severely non-linear. But thankfully Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is linear, to a certain extent. Sure there are lots of places to go to, and the overworld is something like 8 times larger than the overworld featured in the original Dragon Warrior. However, it is much easier to figure out where to go in Dragon Warrior 3 than it was in Dragon Warrior 2. Regardless, if you think about it, Dragon Warrior 3 is largely the same game as Dragon Warrior 2 in terms of basic style. Overall, Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is great!

REPLAY VALUE (Medium)
You will probably want to beat it a few times before you get sick of it.

CHALLENGE (Medium)
Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System has a decent challenge to it, and is good because it is a challenge in terms of beating enemies, etc. NOT finding out where to go next.

OVERALL (9.6/10)
Dragon Warrior 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System is a classic game all the way, and well worth a purchase!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/20/00, Updated 07/16/01