Review by Rick L

"*Squish!*"

Again, on my quest to find the worst games of all time, I saw a game called ''Elevator Action''. I couldn't pass the game up. I found this game isn't as bad as everyone said it was. Over-exaggeraters!

Graphics: 4.5/10

A little too plain for my tastes in most cases. The people were done rather good, although there's only two different types of people. The roof wasn't bad, and the bottom floor where the street and car are were OK. I gave this category extra points for the effect that if you shoot an overhead light with a gun, the whole place turns dark for a few seconds. That's a cool effect for an early game, even if it is just a pallete swap of the level's colors.

The music was OK, but it got repetitive after a while. The sound effects were a little annoying too. They just seemed like it wasn't easy on my ears. The sounds were appropriate, though. Overall, the sound is pretty average. Nothing really spectacular.

Gameplay: 8.5/10

I thought the gameplay was great for this game. The ''B'' button shoots, and the ''A'' button jumps. The only real use for jumping is for jumping over an enemy's bullet when the enemy is ducking. Ducking can be a little bit aggrivating, as you have to press the ''D-Pad'' up when you want the guy to stand up. It's different, but it's a little aggrivating when you need to get up or a bullet will hit you. The theme of the game was to use elevators and escalators to find the red doors, which had secret documents you had to steal. The elevators are fun to play around with. You can get squished, and so can your enemies, so watch out! The controls overall felt rather stiff and a little too precise for things like going in doors or going down an escalator. There is only one level to the game, which is a bummer.

Replay Value: 5/10

Pretty much average. I give this one about a week and a half lifespan. It's fun, but the action does get repetitive.

This game has a type of play that is incredibly unique. I say there should have been a sequel to this game with more levels, or maybe a level editor to go with it. I say this is one game to at least try out, and if you like it, get it! Although I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks for it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/08/02, Updated 03/08/02