Review by TAbbott

"This game is WAY overrated"

I have never really been a big fan of the shooter genre in general, although I am certainly not biased against it or anything. it is simply one of those genres that have never really clicked for me. However, I have played a few shooter games over the years that I have enjoyed.

Sadly, Gradius for the NES was not one of these games. This is the epitome of an overrated game. Everything from the graphics to the control suck. I really got fed up with the basic gameplay of the game fairly quickly, as well. This has to be one of the most disappointing video games I have ever played.

The basic point of the game is to fly in this little spaceship and kill the enemies as they fly by. You have a menu on the bottom which give you X amount of different weapon upgrades, but the problem with this is the fact that you never really seem to get the upgrade you want. Because you will gain your little power capsules too quickly, and by that time you will be fed up with the way the whole system works.

The music in the game is horrible, and the sound effects that are featured are a little limited, to say the least. I did not hear much good when it came to the audio of the game, which really disappointed me. I was expecting to hear a little bit of good stuff, and instead got treated to next to nothing.

I advise you stay away from this game unless you want to be absolutely frustrated by the actual gameplay of the game. A lot of other games are the same kind of game, only without frustrating weapon upgrade systems. So, I advise you stay away from this game. Play Life Force, which is the superior sequel, but stay away from this filth.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 09/10/00, Updated 09/10/00