Review by Vegita

"Options! Lasers! Bombs! Global Thermo-Nuclear Deathrays!-wait a minute."

Ranking:

Individual Enjoyment: 8/10
Challenge: 10/10
Ending: 7/10

Good Points:
Very good game! One of the first space shooting sidescrollers, and probably one of the best of all time. You can upgrade your weapons, and the levels and bosses are huge! Great game!

Graphics: Straight from the arcade, this game had AMAZING graphics (for the time period). Big spaceships, little space ships, volcanoes…and Easter Island heads?

Sound Effects: As close as you could get from the arcade, all the various sounds are here!

Music: Dreary, spacy, floaty (I know, it's not a word, but it makes me feel like I'm floating at times)…

Originality: Except for R-Type and a couple of others, what WAS there to compare this to? And don't tell me “Space Invaders”.

Play Control: We're talking TIGHT. You move, it moves just right. You stop, and it stops because there isn't any inertia (although you're in space, where there should be nothing BUT inertia)…

Enjoyment: I'd love to see a 2-player simultaneous version, but hey, I didn't program it, right?

Challenge: I've never seen anyone (except me) get through the entire game without losing a single life. Come to think of it, I'm the only person I know who can get past the first stage!

Ending: Kaboom.

Bad Points:
Well, none, really, except unless you're really tricked out by the time you get to the volcano's in the first stage, you're screwed. And I wish there was some way you could keep SOME of your upgrades after dying...oh well, I guess I just have Contra syndrome...

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/06/00, Updated 02/06/00