Review by whitedragon

"Don’t play this game if you’re happy... if you do, you won't be so much longer"

On the back off the game-box I read, “It'll drive you ape crazy”. I really don't think I need to say more, this game will drive you crazy, but not out of happiness. Instead you will bite in the controller, hoping that it will break, so that you can take a long rest from this game.

Story 3/10
Not much really, get back to the human village and fight some enemies on your way. Sometimes you'll even get the opportunity to battle a boss from the movie, for example the ferocious snake Kaa or the deadly Shere Khan.

Gameplay 3/10
Well there are ten levels in the game, and there're all quite long and complicated. One bad aspect of this is that you have a time limit for every level, and occasionally you'll find it a little short. After all it's no fun rushing through a level, to later find out that you've missed one of the gems. Since these gems are an essence for completing every stage, I mean if you don't have them you might have to go all the way back to the beginning of the level. The control of the game is not so good, and Mowgli is one tricky fellow to steer. I don't like the way some levels are built either, sometimes you'll have to jump mindlessly into the sky, to either find yourself falling down to a sure death, or to a new part of the game.

Audio/Video 6/10
The best part of the game is the sound and graphics, and they're still just average. Well the game follows the settings of the movie pretty much, so you'll probably recognize yourself when you're travelling through jungles, ruins or villages. The sound is okay too, but you won't go away humming anything of it.

Replayability 2/10
None, there are no reasons to go through all the fuss again, since there aren't any hidden features or secret bonuses. And the game is so boring that when you've completed it, you never want to see it again. This game deserves to be dropped far out at sea.

To buy or to rent?
Neither one, it doesn't have anything to offer you but sadness. And you'll be crying yourself to sleep, over ever being tricked into buying something so terrible. But I've found that smashing it to pieces with a sledgehammer really helps.

The final verdict 3/10
Personally, I can't find any reason for anyone to buy this game, unless you think you have too much money on your hand. It just doesn't have anything new, and if you just randomly pick a platform-game for the NES, there's a great chance that game will be a lot funnier. Go rent or buy the movie instead, it's so much better than this piece of garbage.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 05/10/02, Updated 05/11/02