Review by goofamealius

"You are Mach Rider!"

Graphics 8 out of 10

In the game the Mach Rider, is pretty good for the NES's capabilities, it is cool how it looks like you are actually GOING somewhere. The only real problem with it, is sometimes you cannot tell what an object is on the road. In the create-a-course it is easy to determine how your track is coming along. The background changes with the story, if the upcoming city is ravaged it will be visible as such in the background.

Sound/Music 9 out of 10

The music (forgive my bias) sounded great in Super Smash Bros Melee and it retains this quality in the NES version, I even got it stuck in my head, I like it! The sounds are very good; the constant humming of the motorcycle, the laser sound of the guns, the explosions of various items, the sounds are rivaled only by Mighty Final Fight.

Gameplay 4.5 out of 10

Although you're on a motorcycle driving around in a pseudo-3D world, there is really not that much to do. You can either turn left or right and shoot... that's about it. This disappoints me because it, quite frankly, wasn't fun. Dodging enemies was near impossible at any speed. All the levels are rehashes, just different colored tracks with minor differences. The best aspect is to crash an enemy into the side of the road to his instant death while you roll into the city.

Story 6 out of 10

Basically the story of this game, is in the future an evil group is terrorizing the world's cities. Your mission is to go to all the cities that are in trouble or are about to be in trouble and eradicate all the intruders you find. Of course you don't really have to do this, you can skip the enemies and ride on in to the end of the level. An interesting, yet confusing story.

Extras 8 out of 10

No doubt about it, the 3D effect was a big enough achievement, but the inclusion of a create-a-track mode took it a step above other NES games, almost makes it seem like it wasn't an NES game at all.

Overall 7 out of 10 (Not an average)

This game would have been the best of all time if not for its limited gameplay. To tell the truth, this would be one of the old games I would like to see a sequel to on a next-generation console.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/04/02, Updated 08/04/02