Review by evilrooster5

"Better than Excitebike!... Please don't hurt me."

I bought Super Smash Bros. Melee a few months ago and after 2 tries of Classic mode, I got the Mach Rider trophy. He looked cool, but it didn't seem like much of a game, but except a mish-mash of things. How can you shove such coolness into an 8-bit cartridge? A month later, I played 250 vs. matches with CPUs, and I got the Big Blue stage (F-Zero). I played it a few times, and Mach Rider comes back, except in audio form! The song was a mix of the 4 songs, beautifully assembled, and perfectly remixed, using just the right instruments. I read that the song was from Mach Rider, so I decided to buy it when my brother an NES a few months later. how was the game, you ask? Godly. I played for hours and hours and then grieved when my brother sold the NES so he could get a Nintendo 64. Since there was no more use for it, I tossed it aside. This chunk of heaven from Game Stop for 4 bucks would always be remembered. Here are the words best used to describe it:

This is like a Mad Max game, except ''YOU ARE MACH RIDER!'' Those words make me believe that I am him, and encourage me to get that Quadrunner who nearly killed me. Other than that, the story pretty much is bogus.

If you don't know how to change the gears, you're in trouble, chief. Only then will you know how great this game is: Zipping past Quadrunners and gunning them from behind, zig-zagging in between the rocks, the incredible sense of speed (Especially for the NES. Now THAT is uncommon), and the mounting pressure of trying to get to the end of the track in solo mode. And Course designer! The controls are whack, but once you get used to it, you will be making the most intense course in the world. Just hope that your NES doesn't explode!

To be quite honest, the motorcycle doesn't sound like a motorcycle, and the lasers sound kinda grainy. This would be a strain on your ears if not for the...

Music: 10/10
... excellent songs in this game. OK, so there are only 4, and they are pretty much the same, but they are so freakin' catchy! They aren't as good as the Mach Rider remix on the Big Blue stage on Super Smash Bros. Melee, but they are still the beautiful Siren songs that inspired Nintendo to make that remix!

The standard for excellent NES graphics is Kirby's Adventure, but Mach Rider comes pretty close! Mach Rider is detailed, the tracks really look like a desolate, bombed-out wasteland in the year 2112. The rocks are detailed, and so are the oil drums and Quadrunners! This game is godly!!!

Buy or Rent?: BUY. I ORDER YOU! Next to Ice Climber, this is the best NES game that $4.00 can buy at Game Stop!

If you are looking for a fast, intense, detailed and fun ride from the 1980's, this is it. Why haven't we seen a sequel yet?!?

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/03