Review by Crusher Man

"A little bit better than 4, but still not near 3."

After the disappointment, that was Mega Man 4, I hoped that the next geme would be better. It was a little bit better, but still not as good as 3 (It missed barely 8/10);(. Well. let´s get some review fun^_^:

Story 9/10: An army of robots, led by Proto Man (Mega Man´s brother) rampages through the world. Proto Man even kidnaps his creator Dr.Light, and so Mega Man must fight against his own metal and oil, Proto Man...This plot was again very unique and I was really surprised that Proto Man was the enemy this time. But he has reasons (play the game for more information). Anyway, the story was good and well-done again.

Game Play 8/10: Again the same deal with eight robots. However, the Mega Buster responded better than the last and he also increased in size, making him more useful. In the stages, there are letters hidden. When you find them all, you´ll get your new robot partner Beat, a bird, that attacks your enemies. He´s really useful against some bosses. Rush is again there, but without his Marine transformation this time. It is replaced by the Super Arrow, an arrow, which can be used as a staircase, if it hits a wall and also as a weapon.
The control is again as good as the last one.
This game ist again harder than its predecessor, mainly because Proto Man´s fortress is such a pain in the ass. But other stages are also quite difficult.
The game play is, to sum it up, good, but not as good as some of the other games.

Audio/Visual 7/10: The graphics are again better than the predecessor, even with some parallel effects. But the music is still not as good as 2 or 3, although its still good.

Replayability 7/10: Well, some stages (such as Star Man´s and Gravity Man´s stages) are really unique and enjoyable, but the two fortresses problem stinks again in this game.

Rent it or buy it: Buy it, if you´re a Mega Man fan. For newbies, try one of the previous titles.

Overall 7/10: Although better than the predecessor, its still not near as good as Mega Man 2 or 3, which is sad. I really hoped, that this geme would fare better, but unfortunetely, it was not. I hope Capcom can do better next time. They did such a good job with the first three, I hope that they get into their style again:).

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/01, Updated 07/21/01