Review by Brak

"It just feels so cliche"

I remember having a lot of fun playing Mega Man V as an 7 year old. Coming back to it now, the fun of the game just seems to have disappered. Back as a kid, any Mega Man game would've pleased, but looking at it now with much more gaming experience, it just seems to much like the first 4 games.

The graphics are very good for the NES, and are pretty similar to the graphics of Mega Man 4. However, they just don't seem to stand out as much as the graphics in 4. However, compared to all of the other games out there for the NES, the graphics are outstanding! In other words, the graphics are excellent, but a little different from 4.

The music gets fairly annoying in this game. While the music in the first 4 games had their share of memorable music, the music in this game is annoying. The sound effects have the same Mega Man flair as any other NES Mega Man game, except that the sound when an enemy blows up sounds more realistic. Very cool. Overall, the music was poor, but the sounds were good.

If you've played the earlier games, then this game won't seem very new. You know the drill. Destroy all 8 robots, then defeat Dr. Wily. However, Protoman makes a return as an enemy in this game, and he has a castle of his own you must defeat. At the end, it turns out Protoman has been framed, and then after defeating the guy who framed him, you go beat Dr. Wily. It might just be me, but I thought this game was basically just bits and pieces of the first 4 with a few new added features. Also, there's something in the fun factor the other games have that this one doesn't. Overall, you could do a lot worse, but there's not enough new features to make the game worth buying.

It's difficult for me to say how challenging this game is. I had some difficult times with it as youngster, but being a teenager now, the game was fairly easy except for Proto and Wily's castles

The replay value isn't very good. While the other 4 are fun to go back to, this one isn't as much fun.

It's really nothing new. Get one of the earlier ones instead. This one is too unorigional.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/00, Updated 07/15/00