Review by Shogain

"An old classic from the NES era."

Ah, the old classics of the NES era. Ninja gaiden. Although I never played the game till now', I can tell you that it is one of the hardest games I've played. One of the most memorable moments of this game is the boss, Jaquio. A boss I can never kill.

Story[8.5]
For it's time, the story was amazing. Every act had cutscenes, which tells the story of Ryu Hayabusa's adventure in America and to the ruins of South America. Although short and brief, the cutscenes at the time were gorgeous, and had great detail. The story, overall, I liked it. It kept the game alive, and made you finish the game to view all the cutscenes.

Gameplay[7.0]
Now here's what bothers me about the game. Sure you can breeze through the game if you memorize the enemy patterns throughout the stages, but it's still challenging. Infact, I think the developers found it funny that placing enemies on a small platform, and making you jump on the very edge of it to kill him. Another thing that bothers me about the gameplay were the enemies. Such include the hawks and the gliding ninjas. Especially the hawks. But anyway, the gameplay is pretty simple and fun for a NES platformer game. You run through the stage, slash with your sword, and such. You can get power ups like fireballs, shurikens, time stop, time gaining items, and such, by slashing these small items hanging in the background. Overall, I think the gameplay was smooth, but it should've been a bit easier and polished.

Graphics[8.0]
Hmmm, I won't be too harsh here, considering the game is very old. The sprites are well done, the backgrounds are good, and the cutscenes are well made. Especially the cutscenes. Infact, I have now raised the score for graphics just because of the cutscenes in the game. It's that good. You wouldn't find such cutscenes in another NES game than this.

Sound/Music[7.5]
Not as catchy as I hoped it to be, but the music in the game matches the whole run and slash style. The upbeat music throughout the stages breathes life into the game, and it's done well. The sound is good for it's time, but there isn't much. You get the usual slashing sounds, and that's pretty much it.

Final Word -
Overall, if your an old school fan, I suggest you try this game out. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/25/08

Game Release: Ninja Gaiden (US, 03/31/89)