Review by wolverinefan

"A weak follow up to a classic game"

I don't think I've ever reviewed a NES game before. To be honest I was watching Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers on DVD and it got me in the mood for the game. Thankfully I just got my NES back and had finally found this sequel to the original game. I had rented it when it first came out, took a month for the video store to have it in when I actually went there. I remember pure disappointment with the game. Has my opinion changed? Read on!

Our heroes are sent to a diner where a bomb threat has been called in. A little action packed for a kid's game if I must say so. They find out it was a diversion so Fat Cat could escape jail and steal some ancient jar. It's up to our heroes to stop them. It isn't as fun as the originals plot but it does work.

Graphic wise I must admit I'm a little let down. I loved the original game but this time around the levels feel kind of empty and lifeless. They lack the little touches, for the most part, that the original game had. Character models look nice except Gadget, her's is very ugly and if I didn't know she was a mouse I don't think I could have known. The cut scenes are fun, if not lacking.

Sound wise the game is okay. The music is alright but nowhere near as good as the first. Sound effects are cartoonish but fun. Obviously the game lacks voice acting since it's an NES game.

Being that the NES controller had so few buttons; the control is very simple to get the hang of. It's responsive and I had no problems except during the mine cart stages. It just felt loose there and caused me many accidental deaths due to these issues.

If you've played the original game then it's pretty much the same but a little lacking in design and length. The game is made up of 9 stages. 8 of which has a boss fight. While the first game had some interesting fights and come on, its last boss was classic. This game offers some ho0hum efforts and while I did die a few times on them it was because I didn't know their pattern. The problem is, they are stupidly easy once you figure out their rather tame patterns. Only the last boss does more than 2 things.

The level design is a lot poorer this time around. I'd say about 30 enemies per level if you were lucky and sadly it's the same 7 or so enemies. Your only means of attack is to pick up a crate or other item and toss it at them. Some enemies can fling it back so not everything is easy it's just that it's so easy to just dodge most of the enemies. Our heroes have a preset number of lives and continues but you can gain more. They can be hit three times, more if you collect enough Ranger Points in the stages

The game is short but I will admit on that original rental I could never beat the first boss. I will also admit that on my first time I only made it to the Wild West stage. It took me another play through to beat the game. Much easier once you know how to beat the bosses. The game does offer co-op play and if it's anything like the originals it should be pretty fun.

Is this game worth buying now? Well no, it is kind of rare and I did have some trouble finding it. Fans of the first game and the series should check it out and if you find it cheap enough buy it but it is a pretty average sequel to a great game.

Story - 7/10