Review by Psycho Penguin

"Fly around.. and basically do nothing!"

Star Voyager was one of the many games that I bought for the Nintendo Entertainment System the last time I visited New York (and their local Funco Lands). Unfortunately, it was not a good game. Sure, it's nice to have for the collection (I hear it is kind of difficult to find this game nowadays), but I did not have a fun time playing through this game at all. Why?

Well, basically because all I did was fly around in some graphically challenged game, shooting various things that did not appear to be enemies. Now, I am not saying that this is a bad game, hell it might have been a good game had I figured out how to play it. But I did not have a fun time playing it, and you probably will not have a fun time playing it, either. Oh well, at least it is a good game to have in your NES game collection ^_^.

There is not much in this game when it comes to basic story line, all you really do is start the game up, as the game really does not give a good basic idea as to what the basic story line of the game is. So, I cannot really rate the story line or talk about it because the game does not seem to have a basic story line at all!

Well, the graphics in this game are barely average. The main problem that I have with the graphics in this game are that it tried to be a 3D game. This is not going to work, and Star Voyager proved it, because the 3D mode made the game look very confusing. Half the time I did not even know what I was shooting at. So, these graphics featured just aren't very well done, in my opinion. The graphics could have been well done, if it was possible to actually see where you are going, but as it stands the graphics in the game are just plain terrible!

Well, to tell you the truth, there really was not that much music featured in this game, but the music featured in the game just was pure crap, especially that startup music. Ugh. I really was not a fan of the music in the game at all, because I felt that the music got to be plain annoying after a while, and was never good to begin with. If the music in the game starts off as being terrible, then gets plain annoying, then it definitely has problems, and the music in the game does have a lot of problems. This game has some of the worst music I have ever heard in a video game, bar none.

Sound effect wise, Star Voyager will send you to the soul asylum with its terrible bleeps and bloops. To tell you the truth, this could have been done on Atari 2600, and it probably would have been better. I really could not stand the sound effects in the game, as I felt that they could have been done a whole lot better. All you really hear is the damn space ship’s engine, and that got rather annoying after a while.

Overall, terrible music and terrible sound effects combine to equal a terrible score in this category. I really could not stand the music or sound effects of the game, and I do not know what the creators of the game were thinking when they programmed the music, because it really is terrible. I swear I have heard better sound effects in some Atari 2600 games, and the music in the game is just plain terrible! I seriously did not like this at all, and I wish the developers would have included better music and sound effects, for the listener’s sake.

Aargh. I did not have a fun time playing this game at all. First off, I really had no clue what I was doing. All I did was fly around (albeit barely) while shooting what appeared to be empty space. Not what I would consider to be a fun time. I really never got around to figuring out the point of the game, but from what I could make of it, you were flying around in a spaceship and you had to kill enemies while looking on your space map. Only problem is, the enemies never showed up. You could literally fly around for a long time and never figure out what to do. I got fed up with the game fairly quickly, and I am sure you will too.

The control is virtually non-existent as well, as you will not know what button to press in certain situations. The control in the game was plain horrible, and it actually took away from the already lousy gaming experience. I got so fed up with the control quickly, and it drove me insane. The last thing this game needed was bad control, so of course the game got saddled with terrible control from hell.

Overall, this game has lousy game play, terrible control, and it is a pretty terrible game. I got fed up with this game pretty quickly, as there is nothing here that will make you want to come back and play this game some more. There is absolutely no point to actually buying this game, because the control is terrible and there is no fun factor involved. I advise you stay away from this game, because it is truly a terrible game.

There is nothing here that will make you want to keep playing. The control in the game is horrible, the game play in the game is absolutely terrible, and there is no fun factor at all. If you do decide to actually play this game, you will get fed up with it rather quickly, as the whole game is just terrible. At first, it may seem a little cool, but once you get into the actual game you will realize that this game is anything but cool. This is one of the worst games I have played on the NES, and replay value in this game is non existent. The actual game is horrible enough, but the control in the game will actually decease the replay value even more!

This is a pretty challenging game, as well. I really felt that this game had next to none replay value, but challenge, on the other hand, is a whole different story. This is one of the most challenging games on the NES. Considering the actual game is already challenging enough, the last thing it needs is more challenge, right? Well, the control in the game is so horrible, it actually increases the challenge level of the game even more! Yes, the control in the game will actually increase the challenge a lot. I see it far too often in video games, and I am sad that it happened to this game, because the last thing this game needed was more challenge, considering it is already challenging enough.

If you do get this game, try to get the booklet with it, so you may actually have a chance in this fun challenged game. I really hated this game, as I feel there is no point to actually playing this game. I cannot see why anyone would even consider playing this game for anything more than fifteen minutes. Why do I say that? Well, because I feel that there is no redeeming qualities to this god awful game. All you do is fly around on your stupid ship, in this stupid 3D mode, and that’s about it. You cannot even see the enemies, which makes the game even worse than it already is. You better stay away from this game!

''What the heck am I doing? What does this button do? Uhh oh...''

Good Points
-This review is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The cover of the game is rather interesting.
-Have I mentioned that this review is not that long and tedious?
-Have I talked about the cover of the game being rather interesting?

Not So Good Points
-The graphics in the game are absolutely horrific!
-The control will make the game more terrible than it already is.
-The actual game is horrible, one of the worst I have ever played.
-The music is annoying and there is no major sound effects featured.

I Run Down the Ratings… DaLadiesMan Style!
Storyline – Not Available
Graphics – 3.1/10
Music and Sound Effects – 1.8/10
Gameplay and Control – 0.6/10
Replay Value – Way Below Average
Challenge – Way Above Average
Buy it? – Hell No!
Overall – 0.9/10
The Last Line: ''What the heck am I doing? What does this button do? Uhh oh...''

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 09/02/00, Updated 07/16/01