Review by vgc2000

"A great game except for severe control issues."

To start things out I don't normally write reviews for games until I finish them. The reason I say that is because I was getting tired of this game's absurd difficulty due to horridly choppy control and maneuvering, but thankfully I followed my rule and stuck it out for this game as it definitely affected this review.

Anyway I will get along with the review; if you haven't played the original Startropics then you are under a rock and have been for some time. It's one of the more popular Zelda clones that grazed the NES in its heyday. The story is quite cheesy but enjoyable, it does however repeat itself through each area Mike travels. The ending surprised and was better than most games of this genre for the NES

That game was a great game in most aspects except the awful control which this game should've learned from. This sequel picks up where the first left off; Mike's (the main character) uncle gets captured again as does Mica the Alien girl from another planet who telepathically communicates with Mike throughout the game. This time around Zoda has captured all of the Tetrads which of course are Tetris pieces (how original) and have been scattered about through time. Mike travels through time by reading a book called The Oxford World Wonder and starts chanting “papa papa oo papa papa mow mow” how original again; each area has a town with someone in distress and then it's off to the cave to save him or her and then find a Tetrad piece. Along the way Mike will run into characters such as Sherlock Holmes and visit the wild west and Transylvania and finally come back to C Island for the ultimate hair puller and the final showdown which has you fight all the previous bosses and two forms of Zoda without dying! YEAH you get my point! For those of you that don't like hard games than this game is NOT for you.

Enough blabbering about the story and on to the rest of the game; graphically the game is detailed but jagged, some areas are brightly colored and others are quite drab; they are not up to par with the capabilities of other games released at the end of the NES's lifecycle. There is an awful lot of flicker in this game as well. This game does feature some cinema scenes that are quite nice though and offer some mild animation. The music fits the mood of the game but is missing something; some caves have a catchy tune but most are no better than a few of the low budget RPGs the NES saw. I will say that the sound effects are fairly fitting though and make up for some of the music.

The area that absolutely kills this game is the control. The core game play is good and versatile, Mike can move and fire in eight directions but the control is so sluggish and choppy that I even screamed at the game from time to time. When you walk you will walk just fine for a second and then sometimes you will just stutter and lag as if using a flakey controller; turning directions can also be very sluggish and become a chore as well.
Sometimes you will want to walk and jump but end up jumping straight up in the air; I don't want to list every problem but I hope I've proven my point as far as control issues go. For such a late game, it shouldn't have these kind of problems. This series balances out well and is a lot meatier than a lot of other NES games; I found myself enjoying both games in the series at times and mad out of my mind at others. These are great for die hard RPG fans but casual fans and meek gamers altogether will probably want to avoid these games for difficulty alone.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/27/10

Game Release: Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II (US, 03/31/94)