"Another excellent Zelda Clone"

Where Star Tropics was good, its sequel was even better. The control was better in this game, and the music was a completely different thing from the original.
Control 10-10. Well, it's better than its predecessor's, that's for sure. You can turn in mid-air while you jump, and this is quite useful when battling. Just be careful around holes. If you jump at the wrong angle you'll die. You can even throw your weapon in 8 different directions!
Audio 10-10. The SFX are stil NES SFX, but we're still talking about the NES here. Some sounds from the original are back, if slightly reformatted. The sound for when Mike takes damage is a truly painful-sounding noise. The music is cool, but it features none of the previous game's music, unless you count the theme for when you die. Well..it's not exactly the same but it is close. It also does not have the same feel as the music in the first Star Tropics. Where the first game's music had a tropical feel to it, this game lacks that. The music fits whatever area you happen to be in, whether it be the Egyptian area or Shirlock Holmes' place. The boss theme in this game was really quite good, and I know so far that there are two. I'm still working on this game. The boss theme for normal bosses is quite catchy, as is the theme for when you face off against one of Zoda's several forms. That theme is a very fast-paced tune and will heighten the experience of the battle very well. The victory theme that plays when a boss is destroyed is quite catchy although not anything like the victory theme from the previous game. I'm still working on both games so I wouldn't know about the ending themes. Well..I'll find out someday.
Story 10-10. In this installment, Mike Jones is at his uncle's research facility and his uncle is trying to unravel the mystery of a strange book called the Oxford Wonderworld. Suddenly, Mike takes up the book and recites the spell, which was taken from a Beach Boys song if I remember correctly, this series of games is full of puns and things. The effects of this spell are unbelievable, as Mike is hurled into another time and place. He soon discovers that he is on a quest to locate seven Tetrads, which are scattered on Earth and are sought by the evil alien Zoda, whom you fought in the previous game. Mike must gather up the Tetrads and protect them from the aliens at all costs.
Overall 10-10. A challenging game that is made easier by its better controls. If you can find it, get it. It'll be worth it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/26/01, Updated 03/01/03