Review by Psycho Penguin

"This is the football game to play"

The sports game genre has always been a sort of enigma for me over the years. I have never really been a huge fan of sports games, but I have enjoyed a lot of them. Despite the fact there are a lot of newer sports games being released (most of them being un-innovative games with basic roster updates), I still prefer a lot of older sports games. That is not bias against newer sports games (I actually enjoy a lot of newer sports games), but rather a compliment to the classic sports games out there.

One of the older sports games that I still prefer is a classic football game for the NES called Tecmo Super Bowl. Simply put, Tecmo Super Bowl is one of the greatest and most classic video games ever released. It was released at a time where a lot of football games were too basic and statistic filled, and never really concentrated on fun. Therefore, I yearned for a game that was something a bit different from the normal football games released at the time.

Tecmo Super Bowl was different than all of the other football games released on the NES. Tecmo decided not to worry about providing as much depth and statistics (despite the fact there is still a lot of depth and statistics featured in the game), and decided to focus their attention instead on making the game as fun as they possibly could. This is definitely one of my favorite sports games of all time, and it is my second favorite football game of all time. It really is a great game.

Graphically, the game is rather simple, although it still looks great. The backgrounds will take some time getting used to, as the field is a bright green color, and the end zones are a very bright pink. They do take some time to get used to, but the graphics in the game are rather good, nevertheless. The players are quite small and obviously lack detail, but they still look good. The football is easily noticeable, and I liked how the tackles were animated (the players will collide and then blink). The graphics in the game were definitely good, despite the obvious fact that they are rather basic.

Music and sound effects in the game are top notch. Tecmo Super Bowl was the first football game to ever feature background music (actually, I think it is the third, after NES Play Action Football and the original Tecmo Bowl. My bad.), and the background music in the game is definitely really good. There are three or four basic themes in the game, one of them is the normal preseason theme, one is the season theme, one is playoffs, and then one is the Super Bowl. I really liked the variety of music in the game. Sound effects in the game are great, as I liked the variety of sound effects, although there is no commentary like in the SNES versions.

This is one of the most fun Nintendo games ever released, and it is one of the better football games ever released too, in my opinion. The control in the game is great, as it is rather easy to learn the basic controls, and you will get used to it quickly. Choosing a play is simple, go to the play book and choose the control command you want for the play you want to do. For instance, choosing up and A while on offense will enable you to do the play that is controlled by choosing up and A. However, if the defense decides to defend that play, it will move really quick at you, so strategy is involved in the game, as well.

Strategy is involved in the game because the computer actually learns from its mistakes, so it is really not a good idea to run the same play three or four times in a row, because the computer will learn your plan and blitz you really quick, so try to mix up the plays a little bit. The game features all (at the time) 28 NFL teams, lots of game modes, a statistic tracker, a NFLPA license, and more. This is definitely one of the most advanced games released for its time. You can save the game via battery, no passwords are needed.

As fun as the single player game is, the two player game may be even more enjoyable. Despite the fact there is no four player multi tap support, the two player game is fun as hell. I really enjoyed playing this game against a friend of mine, because I happened to beat the hell out of him all the time. There is nothing better than to end up an argument about what football team is better than duking it out with the two teams on the video game football field.

The two player game definitely adds a lot to the replay value, but the single player game more than holds it own in the replay value arena. I really had a blast playing this game, and I think this is one of the most addictive video games I have ever played. It really was a blast to play, and I used to play this game all the time. The season mode really adds to the replay value, as you will want to complete your season as quickly as possible on your way to the super bowl!

This is a pretty challenging game, it may seem like that at first. But then you realize that this is not that challenging of a game at all. The fact of the matter is, once you learn how to expose the flaws in the computer opponent, you will discover that the game is not that challenging at all. It is a decent challenge, especially at first, but after a while I went 16-0 during the season. It really is not that challenging once you get used to it.

Overall, this is one of the most classic football games I have ever played. It may seem rather basic, but sometimes the most fun video games have been pretty basic. The game has a lot of depth, while providing the same basic fun game play that the original Tecmo Bowl provided. This is definitely one of the better games released for the NES, in my opinion, and it is well worth a purchase, especially if you are a fan of the NFL!

Good Points
-This review is not as long or tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The game is very fun and addictive to play.
-There is lots of depth, such as the season mode.
-The two player mode is more fun than the awesome single player mode!

Not So Good Points
-The graphics in the game are rather basic and takes some time to get used to.
-The music can tend to get quite annoying at times.
-The challenge level of the game is not that high.
-The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Jets suck in the game.

I Run Down the Ratings… SMcFadden style!
Storyline – Not Available
Graphics – 7.8/10
Music and Sound Effects – 9.4/10
Gameplay and Control – 9.3/10
Replay Value – Way Above Average
Challenge – A Little Below Average
Buy it? – Oh Hell Yeah! Buy it, especially if you are a fan of the NFL.
Overall – 9.2/10
The Last Line: One of the most fun sports games I have ever played, and well worth a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/00, Updated 07/16/01