Review by DJosef

"More fun than a barrel of um....lemurs"

Toki is one of my favorite games of all time for the NES, but there are better. However this game is definitely worth your time if you like actions games such as Mario. It is incredibly fun, and has good graphics, making it an above average yet not perfect game.

Story: The story for Toki is revealed slowly each level. You get one little ''chapter'' right before you play each level, and with all the odd similar sounding names this can get a bit hectic. The short version of the story goes something like this: An evil sorcerer and his henchman have kidnapped your girlfriend Miho and transformed you into a monkey to try and stop you from rescuing her. However you're still determined to rescue her because hell, who would want to stay as a monkey?
Score-7/10

Controls: The controls to this game are very simple and straight forward. You should have no trouble at all learning to use them. B jumps, A shoots and the directional pad moves you in whatever direction you choose. A nice touch added is the ability to shoot diagonally. This can come in handy when trying to shoot enemies as they fly across the sky.
Score-9/10

Game Play: This game is a pretty straight forward and simple action filled shooter. You fight your enemies one of two ways. You either spit at them with either your standard spit or one of its power-ups or you can jump on them. There are 6 levels each with a boss at the end and the 2nd one has a mini-boss as well. Also you have the option of playinga one or two player game.
Score-8/10

Challenge: While I love this game I must admit it is one of the easiest games I've ever played in my life...hell it probably is THE easiest. However you'll still probably play it over and over because it is so much fun.
Score-2/10

Sound Effects: This game only has a few sound effects, but they are all done pretty well. Your flamethrower spit sounds like a flamethrower. The main sound effects are your jumps, fire, and whatever noises your enemies make.
Score-8/10

Music: This game has some of the best music you will ever hear for an NES game. Some of it is very similar to that of the StarTropics series. My favorite is the music from when you're riding the cart in the final level and when you fight a boss.
Score-10/10

+Great music
+Decent controls

Minusses
-Too easy
-Not the most original game

Overall: I highly recommend this game because it is just so much fun. Not only does it have great music and good controls it also has great replay value.
Score-9/10