Review by Psycho Penguin

"Capcom should be so proud..."

As some of you may have figured out by now (is it really that obvious?), I have played a lot of video games over the years. While I have not seemed to play a lot lately, I used to spend a lot of my free time playing video games. One of the consoles that I spent a lot of time playing was the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It was definitely one of my favorite video game consoles of all time, and what made my enjoyment of the console even better is the fact that I owned a lot of NES games! Some of them were quite weird and rare, yet still enjoyable all the time.

One of the more unknown games I owned was a game called Trojan. This game had a lot going for it. It provided classic arcade action divided into stages. Also, the company that made it (Capcom) has always been a pretty popular game. However, this game was released before the company became very popular, so it is understandable as to why the game was never as popular as you would expect. Regardless, I still feel that this game should be more wildly known and popular than it is today. Sure, it is not the perfect game, but it is still a blast to play!

The graphics in the game were a mixed bag. One of the things I have problems with when it comes to graphics in video games is when the backgrounds of the game actually detract from the overall playing experience. And, sadly to say, Trojan is sort of one of these kind of games. It is not exactly completely horrible, but the backgrounds in the game range from dark to bright, and they definitely get in the way of the overall game play, which is a shame. Because like I have already mentioned, I am not a big supporter of games, which have bright or dark backgrounds, that completely detract from the gaming experience.

However, I am not going to say that the game has terrible graphics, because it most certainly does not. In fact, I am kind of a big fan of the graphics in this game. Please note that this game was made in 1987, so the graphics are no where near today’s quality. Regardless, that does not mean that the graphics are terrible, in fact I liked the graphics in the game for two reasons. One, they were simple yet effective, no fancy graphical effects here. In addition, the character and enemy designs were outstanding, and some of the best I have yet to see in a NES game.

Overall, the graphics in the game are really good, although I will admit that they have some problems. The biggest problem I found with the graphics is the fact that sometimes the backgrounds can come off as distracting, which is never good for the overall gaming experience. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the graphics, as everything is satisfactory and completely acceptable, especially the character and enemy designs, those were really good.

Music in the game was a mixed bag. You really did not hear much background music during actual game play, although sometimes you will hear background music during the stages. Mostly though, you hear the title theme and other music. I will talk about the background music during stages. The music featured here is pretty good, and I liked how well varied it was. I am not going to say that this is the greatest music soundtrack ever featured in a video game or anything, because it most certainly is not. However, it does get the job done, and it sounds decent enough, so I am not going to complain because the music is actually pretty good.

Sound effect wise, there are not much sound effects to be heard in the game, but I will give you a rundown of some of the sound effects you will hear. You will hear the sound of your character jumping via the super boots. This is a pretty cool sound, especially when he jumps out of the sewer and stuff. You will also occasionally tend to hear the sounds of enemies dying or shooting stuff at you, this is a pretty rare occurrence, however. I did like the sound effects in the game that were featured, and wish that the company maybe could have included some more, that would have been even better.

I really liked the music and sound effects in the game, however I am not going to say that they were incredible or anything, because they were not. However, despite the fact they were nothing above average, I still am a fan of the music and sound effects in the game, mainly because these are some of the better ones I have heard in the old days of the NES. And above all else, they are perfectly acceptable in my book, so I will just say that the music and sound effects in the game were decent enough and move on to the next section.

Controlling your character can be a problem at times, although it is nothing you can’t handle with a little bit of practice. One of the main complaints I had about this game when I first played through it was the control, and how unresponsive it seemed to be. See, you get a few special powers, and once you get these powers it is difficult to use them. Doing basic commands such as jump, shield, and punch can also be difficult as well, although like I have already mentioned, after a while it does get easier. Just give the control some time so you can get used to it and you will probably have no problems whatsoever.

The actual game itself is nothing more than your average side scrolling beat them up, it may seem at first. However, once you actually get into the game, you will notice that it is a little bit different. First off, the game is divided into stages, and each stage can be seen on the world map. The stage design in the game is awesome, and the variety of those stage designs I just mentioned are even better. This is a game, which has you going from an abandoned warehouse to a desert in the course of one stage. That is simply incredible, and I really liked this game in that aspect.

In the actual stages, you can do a lot of different stuff. Your basic character can do one of three things. He can jump (or super jump, depending on what boot he is wearing), he can put up his shield (to avoid enemy attacks), or he can attack the enemy (using his trusty sword). The bosses appear at the end of every stage, and some of them can get quite tough. You will have to use patience in order to beat some of the bosses. There is also an added 2- player mode, which has you in a Street Fighter-style game pitting you against your friend. This is a really novel idea, and is one I enjoyed immensely.

Overall, this is one of the most unique games I have played on the NES, and therefore it is challenging to rate. I did not really enjoy playing this game that much, but it had a lot of good points to it. Actually, I can only think of about three major flaws to the game off the top of my head right now. So, I will just say that this is a fun game to play, and features solid control. However, you may quickly grow tired of it and move on to other, more exciting games, or something else, mainly because this is nowhere close the apex of gaming or whatnot. It is good for a weekend, however, so get this game if you want to prepare for a rainy weekend or something.

You will want to replay this game on occasion, more than likely, although it will never become one of those games that you will want to replay all the time. However, I was not expecting this game to become one of those games where you will want to replay it all the time, so I was perfectly happy with the replay value of the game. There are not very many secrets featured in the game, which definitely cuts away from the replay value. Also, the game is easily defeated within an afternoon, so you will not be playing it for very long when it comes to trying to complete it. So, the replay value is decent, but it is nothing special.

This is not one of the more challenging video games ever released, although it does get the job done as being a challenging game. The first thing you have to realize about this game is the fact that this is a rather large and complex (for the most part) game. There are over 18 stages in the game, and each one of them is different from the last. Well, not really, as each stage has 2 sections, so you cannot really tell them apart at first. But, the bosses in the game are extremely challenging, well after the first few anyway. I really felt this was a challenging game, with the stages and all, and the amount of enemies featured, but it is definitely not an extreme challenge. And I am perfectly happy with the fact it is not an extreme challenge, this challenge level is just right for a game like this.

Overall, this is never going to go on my list of top NES games or anything, but it is a very good game that I enjoyed playing immensely. It never really got out of its shell as being a side scrolling game, because that is what it is. I did not enjoy this game too much, but it was a decent enough playing experience for a weekend, and I am glad my friend sold this game to me for under a dollar. If you can find this game for a good deal, I advise you get it, because it is a good game, but I would not spend more than two dollars on purchasing this game, because it is not worth any more than that.

Good Points
-This review is almost as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The graphics in the game, despite their flaws, are pretty good overall.
-I really liked the variety of stages and stage design in the game.
-The music in the game was surprisingly decent, despite its flaws.

Not So Good Points
-I never really got into this game too much.
-The control in the game definitely takes some time to get used to.
-The sound effects and music were a little lackluster.
-The backgrounds sometimes were a little too distracting.

I Run Down the Ratings… Da Ladies Man style!
Storyline – Not Available
Graphics – 7.8/10
Music and Sound Effects – 6.3/10
Gameplay and Control – 6.4/10
Replay Value – A Little Above Average
Challenge – Almost to the point of Extreme
Recommended Purchase? – Not really, only purchase it if it is cheap.
Overall – 6.2/10
The Last Line: It is not the greatest game ever, but it is definitely solid enough to warrant a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/00, Updated 07/16/01