Review by Psycho Penguin

"The complete review to the gem of the Wizards and Warriors series"

Introduction

I finally had decided to dust off my old NES several weeks ago, and I was faced with a dillemna: what game would I want to play first?? I decided to play all three games in the Wizards and Warriors series, which is one of my favorite series on the old NES. Since I hadn't played the games for a while, I was quickly slaughtered (especially in ironsword). So, you may be wondering by now, what were your final impressions of the Wizards and Warrior series, particuarly the third and final game in the series?

Well, as much as I love the first two games in the series, my favorite of the three would have to be number three, which featured much more RPG elements than the first two in the series. regardless, all three games are classics and they all definetly deserve a place in your gaming collection. So, my big question to the developers of the series, why haven't
there been more Wizards and Warriors games released? Especially for the Super Nintendo!!

How could would have been to play Wizards and Warriors 4 or possibly a Wizards and Warriors collection? Oh well, now im just blowing smoke. on with what would hopefully be a complete review to Wizards and Warriors 3, so you the reader can make an informed decision on whether or not to buy one of the coolest platfromers ever released.

Graphics (9.2/10)

Okay, so maybe Im just being a little predujiced here, but still, the graphics in the game are very tight overall. There are some great backgrounds and some detailed enemy and charcater designs during the fast action and gameplay in the game. The graphics are wonderfully done and are much better than the first two in the series, which featured too colorful and distracting backgrounds and some less than average backgrounds and enemy and character designs.

Character designsin the game are awesome. While they still don't look amazing, I think the character designs in the game are much better than the character designs featured in the other games in the series. There are quite a few characters in the game, like shop owners, and they all look different and very unique. Overall, the character designs in the game are great.

Enemy designsin the game are pretty good as well. There are a lot of different enemies in the game, ranging from swooping birds to human enemies, and they all look wonderfully designed. There is also a bit of a variety to the enemy designs, although not quite as much variety as i would have liked. Overall, the enemy designs in the game are still pretty good, even if they aren't as varied as I would have liked.

Overall, the graphics in the game are very good, even if they still don't look as good as some of the other games featured on the NES.

Music/Sound (9.1/10)

The music and sound effects in the game are great, but overall i prefer the music in the first game the best. But I can't complain about the soundtrack in this game at all, after all it is a very well done soundtarck. And while the sound effects aren't absolutely realistic to a certain degree, they are still pretty good overall.

The music and sound effects in the game are quite good, and I think that the Wizards and Warriors series has always provided great music and sound effects for the NES, and the third game in the series is no exception.

Musicin the game is solid. I like the variety of the music and like how the music changes moods depending on the stage and situation you are in. Also, the music that plays when you fight a boss is great, and I really think it is good music. The music that plays in the stages fits the mood of the stages perfectly, which is always an important factor in my book. There's nothing worse then going through a dark, eerie stage with happy, bright music playing in the background. Thankfully this is not the case in this game. Overall, the music in the game is great.

Sound effect wise, the sound effects in the game are great as well, as all of the expected sound effects are in the game, and they sound very good. I especially likes the sound that occurs when you jump and keep on jumping, because it sounds very cool, and doesn't get annoying as I would have expected it to. Overall, the sound effects in the game are great.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are great. The music is varied and sounds great, and the sound effects are some of the best I have heard in a NES game.

Control (9.2/10)

The control in the first two games were outstanding, so i expected no less from the third game. Was I disappointed? Not in the least. The control is very good and I put my personal guarantee that you will not find any problems with the control whatsoever. And i don't put my personal guarantee much, so take it for what you will.

Gameplay (9.2/10)

The gameplay is your basic platformer action all the way, with some RPG elements thrown in. You are again playing the role of a knight who must save the princess from the evil hands of Malkil, an evil sorcerer who for some reason likes the princess a lot (he must suffer from Bowser syndrome.. the syndrome in which bad guys actually fall in love!!). Anyways, you collect gems which you can then use to purchase goods like bread and stuff from the merchant in the game.

The gameplay is most definetly like the first two in the series, where you must go around fighting enemies and stuff, and also making really difficult jumps, but overall there are ts of welcome changes to the series that the fans of the first tow will absolutely love. The RPG elements combined with the action and adventure elements of the game make it an awesome platformer with plenty of fast action, quick wits, and lots of fun to be had!!

=============================
Other Important Scores
=============================

Replay Value (High)

This game has much more replay va;lue than the first two in the series combined, which is really a bold point considering the great replay value of the first two in the series. This game is addictive and you will not want to put down the controller until you beat it, which may be a good or bad point depending on your perspective.

Challenge (Medium)

This isn't the most challenging game (Ironsword, the second game in the series, is vicious) but it still provides a decent challenge, just like the rest of the games in the series. Overall, the game isn't that challenging, but it is still a decent challenge especially for newbies to the series.

GOOD POINTS
----------------

-The best game in a great series
-Lots of secrets leads to high replay value
-Decent challenge

BAD POINTS
----------------

-It can get to be quite complicated.
-I lost the damn disk that had my FAQ for the game.
-Graphical breakup plagues some of the stages.

Overall (9.2/10)

This is the most fun game in the series, which is the most fun series out there for what kind of game it is. Get and play it today!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/11/00, Updated 07/16/01