Review by Maester_Link

"NEStalgia"

This system started a lot of things. Mainly the mainstream gaming industry. Before this system, games had little meaning and quite frankly.... Sucked. This system has stood the test of time and is still impressive to me today. Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Metriod, Donkey Kong. This system was THE System. Nintendo, surely started an amazing thing here. I still whip out the old NES and play Final Fantasy, Both Zelda games, Mega Man, the all time classic Duck Hunt. I've probably clocked over 100 hours on this system. This system really started to get me into gaming in general, as it had amazing RPG and Adventure games, as well as fun games like Mario. Why does Nintendo beat out it's inferior competitor the Atari? The Atari just plain didn't do it, until Nintendo made the NES. I have SERIOUS nostalgia with this system and the games involved, as I grew up on it and played it with my father. He helped me along with the really hard games that the NES had to offer, as well as things I simply couldn't figure out, such as the amazing Zelda puzzles, or the tricky Mario Brothers levels. Hours of countless fun and enjoyment come from this good old system that started it all.

Graphics 9/10
At the time, it was unlike anything I have ever seen. Nintendo blew the other competition out of the water in terms of graphical advances. 8 whole bits! Sounds horrible today, as we have 128 bit processors at our disposal, but everyone loves the good old NES. The system is a timeless masterpiece. You STILL play these games today and enjoy them.

Sound 9/10
Stereo? No way! Really? Yes, thats right. Stereo. This system not only looked amazing, it had amazing sound. This is just fantastic for its time. The sound on any NES cart is just really great. Instead of the Mono one sound beeps, you get music. Sometimes even a soundtrack. Like in such games as The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy. This was a great addition to the video gaming industry, and to video games as well. Granted, its not Dolby Digital, but it may have been for its time.

Gameplay 10/10
This is where the NES really gets me here. The gameplay is just simply amazing. There really is not much else to it. You have fun exciting games such as Duck Hunt where you have to shoot some 8-Bit ducks on the screen while your Dog catches the body. Thats rip roaring good times. Get your buddies together, grab a Pizza, and shoot the Ducks! I will never forget the good times I've had with this good old system. Games that were made extremely hard such as Castle Dragon. It still is my opinion today that if you can master NES games, you are a true gamer. Especially games like Final Fantasy and Zelda II: Adventure of Link. These games were HARD. No GameFAQ's either, just Nintendo Power and a hot line. I remember playing Mega Man for about 6 hours straight figuring about bosses, and techniques to beat the game. You feel really accomplished when you beat these games, and it was just an overall amazing gaming experience.

Replay Value 10/10
I've said it many times before in this review, this system is really amazing, and has the best replay values of any system I have played. With over 700 games to choose from, how on Earth do get bored of this? That should keep you busy for a while. More like 20 years? This system has really stood the test of time and come out to be a true hero among gaming and systems. Not to mention the genius of Nintendo here, it really shows. I have carts (Final Fantasy I, II, Zelda I , II) more then 20 years old, and guess what? My original battery that was in the cart when I bought it still works today. Yes! Thats right, still works today. I find this to be amazing, and should show that Nintendo knows what it's doing.

Overall 10/10
This system is a must have for a gamer, even if you haven't played it yet. You really should try to get your hands on it. It works amazing, and still is playable today. It's so much fun and deserves its place in gaming history.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/07