Review by SuperGamecube64

"It might be the fossil of consoles, but it was also the precursor to your precious 360!"

Before I begin my review, I'd just like to say that while I am a bit of a Nintendo Fan Boy(except for the wii), as my screen name probably suggests(Super Nintendo + Gamecube + Nintendo 64 = SuperGamecube64) I am unbiased. I do not thing Nintendo was better than SEGA or that they are currently better than Sony of Microsoft. I simply enjoy their systems and games, with the exception of the Wii, which, while I don't hate, I am not the biggest fan of.

The NES was truly the begging of video games immense popularity. Sure, there were systems before it, but none of then had the impact that the NES had on the video game industry. If it weren't for Nintendo's little gray box, you probably wouldn't have your Xbox 360 or your ps3 or any other of the most popular consoles. It was released in Japan as the Famicom(Family Computer) and sported a different paint scheme and design. Worldwide, the NES sold 61.91 million units! that's quite a lot. In North America, it was discontinued in 1995, but in Japan, they continued to be produced until 2003! What does THAT tell you?

The NES also had a few peripherals like the Super Scope, a light gun used in Duck Hunt, and the Power Glove. Also, there was R.O.B., the Robotic Operating Buddy. R.O.B. lives on as a character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and with cameo appearances in modern games such as WarioWare inc: Mega Party Game$! and Chibi-Robo! on the Gamecube.

Another way in which the NES has lived on is in the Gamecube Game Animal Crossing. In the game, you can collect 16(I think) NES games, including 4 only available through scanning e-reader cards.

Furthermore, with the Wii's virtual Console, you can download and play your favorite NES games.

Nintendo also released a special edition Gameboy Advance SP sporting gray as it's main color, red buttons, and the NES stripes. When closed it resembles and NES.

The NES used ROM Cartridges that, in North America(NTSC region) and Europe and Australia(PAL region) were 5.5" long by 4.1" wide. Japanese cartridges were shaped slightly differently, and measured only 3" in length, but 5.3" in width, so you you can forget about importing games!

The NES had 2 KB of RAM(Random Access Memory), which, for a video game system at that time, was quite impressive. Now, enough education, on with the review!

System Design: 7/10

And I'm being generous giving it a 7. The most lackluster part of the NES is it's design. It looks nice and all, but it has a high failure rate. If you have an NES that still works perfectly, and you haven't had to change any of it's parts, you are very lucky. It wasn't the sturdiest of consoles, but you should try to take good care of your systems anyway.

Controller Design: 8/10

It's rectangular, has a directional pad, start and select buttons, and the A and B buttons. That's all the system really needed, but the controller can really work on your hands. You get sore if you play fr too long, but overall it looks nice, and is functional.

The NES is an 8-bit console that can only do so much, but for it's time, it looked great. Colors were bright and clear. Most NES games were side scrolling, and the frame rate was smooth for most games, if not all. The NES may not have had mind blowing HD graphics, but in 1985, who cared?!

Game Library 10/10

Mario, Duck and Zelda are games that everyone has most likely played, but the NES has many other great games. some overlooked games like Balloon Fight, and some popular, but still less recognized games like Ice Climber. The NES had a large selection of games, and some classics live on to this day, like Mario and Zelda, and let's not forget Metroid! Punch out! was just recently remade for the Wii, proving that the legacy lives on to this day.

The NES should never be forgotten. It gave the gaming industry the jump start in needed, and made a gamer out of many of you, and myself. I started gaming in 1994 with duck hunt. To this day I remember playing this system, even though I was only 3. Truly, it is one of the greatest consoles of all time. You'll be hard pressed to fine one cheap and in good working condition now, but if you do, jump on the chance to own it. Despite it's design flaws, and how expensive good cartridges are now in 2009, the system just shouldn't be allowed to fade. I myself have never owned one, and I am still looking for a good affordable one. The only reason I got to play it is that I lived with my uncles for most of my early life, and they had an NES. If I ever find another one that is in working condition and that isn't overpriced, you can bet I'll jump on it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/22/09

Game Release: Nintendo Entertainment System (Version 1 Front Loader) (US, 08/31/85)