Review by Psycho Penguin

"Too much good games equals a perfect score"

When I was a young kid, I played a few video games. Most, if not all, of them were NES games. So saying the NES and I go way back is a bit of an understatement. I still remember playing games such as Quattro Sports, Adventure Island, TMNT 2, and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers. Sure, these games will hardly go down as classics, but does it really matter to me? No. Why? Because I had lots of fun playing them!

And while I do not wish for this to turn into a ''lets bash on Nitendo 64'' type review, I notice a swift change of persepective in terms of comparing and contrasting the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Nintendo 64 games. For instance, some of the older games depended more on gameplay than graphics, while some (not all) newer games seem to focus on graphics only, not gameplay. This is sad for me since I do not give a rat's behind about grapics. Some of my favorite games had charcaters that looked like potatoes.

So, while most NES games did not have the best of graphics, the games did feature something not seen on newer systems: gameplay and fun factor. I mean, I did not like Zelda: The Ocarina of time very much, but I loved the original Zelda for the NES. There have been lots of classic games released for the NES, ranging from the Mega Man series to the very underrated Blaster Master.

A little known fact is that the Sega Master system was actually a more powerful console than the Nintendo Entertainment System was, technology wise. So, why did the Nintendo Entertainment System win the console war then? One word: Advertising. Everywhere you went, you saw some form of Nintendo memorabila.

Overall, I love the NES.

Some games worth checking out: Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior Series, Mega Man 5, Mega Man 6, Destiny of an Emperor, Contra, and more!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/00, Updated 07/16/01