Review by THAguyINgta3

"The System That Changed Everything"

Remember when gaming was all about gameplay?

The NES is the first ever console made by Nintendo. It is the console that changed the gaming scene from an underground sort of thing to an immensely popular thing to do in the mid-80s. Before the NES, the Atari 2600 was the most popular gaming system and had graphics that looked like, well, crap really, and the gameplay to all of the games was oh so simple. Lucky for us, Nintendo came along and changed everything. They changed the industry. They changed the world as we know it.

Nintendo, believe it or not, was first established in the late 1800s and made playing cards. Could you imagine what gaming would be like today if Nintendo transisted from a card making company to a video game company? Gaming wouldn't be the same. I'm sure we wouldn't have most of what we have right now. Console gaming probably would have died away a long time ago, and we might still be playing the newest version of pinball available. That's right, we would be in Gaming Hell. Hell, a few of us might even be forced to go outside. Ok, ok, maybe not that, but you know what I mean.

Hardware

The hardware is the thing that made the NES so innovational. It had the better graphics than any console before it and had better gameplay than them, too, in most cases. The NES had 8-bits in it and a bunch of other things that were advanced in the 80s. The hardware is also very durable. I've had mine for over 12 years and it is still in tip-top condition. The only thing is that you usually have to blow in the cartridge to get the games to work and a lot of them won't work no matter what you do. Even though, the console is still in fine condition. Overall, it has great hardware and great durability.

Controller

The controller is simple and is extremely easy to use. It has a D-Pad, Start, Select, A, and B on it. How could that not be easy to learn? There's only 5 buttons on it! Anyway, the controller seemed to be built well. Because of the extreme difficulty of most NES games, the controller might get thrown into the wall a few times if you have a temper problem or just get plain old pissed off. Overall, the controller is very well set-up and is of fantastic durability.

Peripherals and Accessories

There were a pretty good bit of accessories available for the NES. One of my favorites is definitely the gun that comes with Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt (the name of it escapes my mind). How could you not like it? It is the first light gun ever, and went with some kick ass games. Another type of controller is the NES Advantage, which was basically an arcade stick. It was pretty fun to toy around with in some games.

The first GameGenie appeared on NES and it is sort of like a retro-GameShark. Basically, if you are getting your ass kicked by a game, you can pop it in and use cheats. It was good for the games that were too hard, but I hear it freezes on people a lot.

There was also a thing called the NES Satellite that would allow you to play 4-player games on the NES, which was needed because it only had 2 controller ports. The Power Pad is a sort of thing that you run on and use for games like Track & Field, which would come with Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt usually. There were also a lot more things available for the NES than just these, but I'm sure they are all very rare. Overall, the NES had a good selection of accessories and peripherals. The light gun is a must-have.

Price

You could probably buy an NES for around $30 in this point in time. They will be very hard to find and very rare though. I've seen some NESs go for over $100, but stores like GameStop and Electronics Boutique, if they have them, shouldn't sell them for too much money. It's just all a matter of finding them.

The games for the NES are all pretty cheap. You can get them in a bargain bin at GameStop or Electronics Boutique for around $1 a piece, although there are a lot of games that are extremely rare and will cost you an arm and a leg to acquire. The Final Fantasy games on the NES and the first Legend of Zeldas are a good example of this. I've seen Final Fantasy III go for upwards of $100 and Legend of Zelda go for around $70 on auction sites like eBay and in a select few gaming shops. Overall, the prices cannot be beat.

Graphics, Sound, and Load Times

The graphics, for the most part, are very good for the NES's time. The console has pumped out some really beautiful games. However, there are some games on NES that are horrible to look at. It doesn't really matter though. Gameplay is where it's at. Anyway, all of the games on the NES are done in 2-Dimensional sprites. Some of the more beautiful games are Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Final Fantasy III. The console did have it's moments, and when it did, they were spectacular.

The sound for the NES is great for it's time, but it has nothing on the SNES and consoles in the generations with the SNES and after it. The loading times were pretty good for the NES in most games. Some had almost no load times at all, which is because of it's use of cartridges instead of CDs. Overall, the sound, graphics, and load times for the NES are all great.

Games

The NES has a huge library of games. There were around 700 or 800 games for it by the time it died. The NES may have a huge library, but there is a lot of crap to dig through to get to the real gems, the real classics. You have awesome classics on the NES like the Legend of Zelda series, Metroid, Punch-Out, Super Mario Bros. and Mario Bros. series, the Final Fantasy series, Ninja Gaiden, the Mega Man series, the Castlevania series, Pac-Man, and so, so much more. The only down-side to the game selection is most of them are too damned hard for their own good. Games like Battletoads will make you want to blow up your NES or shoot it with a shotgun or something. Besides that, the game selection on the NES is fantastic and is what makes the NES a classic gaming system in my and many other gamers' eyes.

Franchises

The NES started some of the best game franchises out there, which include Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, Mario Bros., and many, many more. Shigeru Miyamoto is the creator of the Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, and a few other series and the NES is where he was first considered a genius. The man has made some huge accomplishments, and even though I know he won't read this, I would just like to acknowledge him for that. He truly is one of the, if not the best thing that has happened to gaming. I consider him and Hideo Kojima to be the best game producers ever. Anyway, overall, the NES has some fantastic franchises on it, and if it weren't for the NES, we wouldn't have many of the games that we love to play today.

Pros

-Huge library of games
-Sound was good for it's time
-Graphics were good for it's time
-Basically no load times
-Great and very durable hardware
-Simple and good controller
-All games offered a good challenge
-Made gaming what we know it as today

Cons

-A lot of games are too damn hard
-Games and system are very rare
-Some of the early games had crap graphics and sound

Conclusion

In conclusion, I strongly urge you to go out and buy an NES. It is one of the best gaming systems ever made and you will hate yourself if you never get one. The thing is so cheap that you can get one and around twenty games for less than $60. You must get it. It is your priority as a gamer to get your hands on an NES and never let go.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/20/03, Updated 07/20/03