Review by Megaman1981

"This review is on my first video game console."

Video games have come a long way since the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was released. Now we have 3D graphics that blow away our mind. Gamers nowadays don't want to play any of the classics on the NES, but true gamers like me know the NES is the reason why video games are still around today. To get right to the point, without the NES, video games probably wouldn't exist today. The video game market crashed with the Atari game system, which was a lousy console anyway. The NES saved the video game industry by getting released.

Graphically the NES blows away anything the Atari could put out. Even the very first games that came out blew away the Atari. Maybe that is one of the reasons the NES did so well. However, as the system got older, the graphics in each game became better and better. The sound is also quite nice. Instead of the boring beeps we got from an Atari, we get games that actually have nice music in them. Some are very nice and each game gets better and better. Games like Mario, Megaman, Castlevania, and Zelda have awesome music in their games. Luckily the NES belts it out perfectly. There is however some noticeable slowdown in most NES games. Most are from the early part of the systems life, but it can still happen with any game.

The design of the system was like a small flat box. The games were put inside the system and then that door was closed (flip top). There were two controller ports, a power button, and a reset button. The controller was very simple, but it worked. It had a D-pad, select and start buttons, and A and B buttons. Simple? Yes, but it was certainly innovative. The controller did have a habit of dying every six months. Also later in the systems life, Nintendo redesigned the console, but people had already moved on to the SNES. Nintendo also released the power gun for use with some shooters, but mostly for Duck Hunt. Sometimes games also crashed for no reason at all, but you learn to live with it. It usually happens depending on how old your system is. Still, technology was different back then and it won't influence my score.

The NES game library was massive indeed. Well back when 2D were being made, most of them were actually pretty good. Few games were actually stinkers. Today of course 3D games are more it or miss. The classic A-list includes Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Castlevania 1-3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-3, Megaman 1-6, Contra, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda 1 and 2, Duck Hunt, Duck Tales, Astyanax, as well as many others. Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon became two of the most popular beat em ups ever created. The three best games for the NES are Super Mario Bros. 3 and Megaman 2 and 3.

In conclusion, the NES is the system that saved the video game industry. After the market crashed, and the Atari did as well, most game companies didn't want to risk putting out a new system. Nintendo took that risk, and look where they are today. Yes, people today say Sony is better, but even they would admit that the NES is the most important console to be ever created. Thanks to Nintendo we can all enjoy video games today. I just wish that gamers everywhere would remember this, instead of the mistakes that Nintendo has made recently. Just remember, that PS2 is fun, but without the NES, you wouldn't be playing it.

So, would it be wise to buy one today? Well, yes as a matter of fact. I believe that they go for about $15-$25 today. Just make sure that you get an extended warranty. The reason? Well, the NES simply died after a period of a few years, but the newer models seem to be made better. Also some of those great games that I mentioned, such as Mario, Zelda, and Megaman all can be played on the Gamecube. Still, if you can find a used NES for cheap, it's worth the purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/05, Updated 02/16/05