"Without the NES, there would be no Gamecube, no XBox, no PS2 or even SNES, N64, PS1 or Genesis"

Introduction
Back in 1982, Atari released the horrible ET, a game that was so bad that video gaming industry had crashed and started the Video Game Crash of 1983. People refused to buy video games because most of them were bad. Fast forward to the year 1985, Nintendo, a company known for their success arcade hits Donkey Kong and Mario Bros decided to release a system called Nintendo Entertainment System in the States with the launch title Super Mario Bros that took the nation by storm. The NES is still hugely popular to this day and is one of the best 8-bit consoles ever. (it was already released in Japan back in 1984 as the Famicom and was enjoying a success.) I got my NES back in 1991 with Super Mario Bros 3 for Christmas and I'm still enjoying it today. Now I'm about to review my first gaming system.

Graphics: Well, if the NES was compared to today's systems, the graphics would look cheap, but during the mid-late 80s and early 90s, these graphics blew the Atari 2600 and systems made before the NES away. A lot of the later games like Kirby's Adventure and Battletoads had superb graphics that they could almost pass for SNES games. Graphics gets 9/10

Sound/Music: I was amazed at the music produced for a lot of the games. It was amazing! Some games I'll admit had bleeping and blooping but for the most part it blew Atari's music away. The classic Mario theme is one of those video game theme that will be remember forever. The sound effects was good too. Sound/Music gets a 10/10

Control: One of the simplest controls I've ever used. It's rectangular shaped with two little red buttons, a D-Pad and the start and select buttons. The control was definitely easy to remember and it fits right in your hand whether you have small hands or big hands. Control gets a 10/10

The Games

The games usually make or break a system, and in the case of the NES, it made the system. A lot of the games for the NES was great and provided hours and hours of fun and of course, the NES had it's share of garbage games as well (as with any other console).

Action/Adventure: One of the NES's strongest points. Here you had games like Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 1-6, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, Contra, Legend of Zelda 1 and 2, Adventures of Lolo 1-3 and a whole bunch more.

RPG: Most of the NES's RPGs were bad (Hydlide) but the better RPGs for the system are The Final Fantasy series,and the Dragon Quest series

Sports: I'm not into sports games but I personally liked Punch-Out and Excitebike.

Beat-Em Ups: Another strong NES point. Some good beat-em ups for the NES are the TMNT series, River City Ransom, Double Dragon, Battletoads and more

Fighting Games: There was not that many fighting games for the NES but one that I do remember is TMNT:Tournament Fighters.

Puzzle Games: Games like Dr. Mario and Wario's Woods are good for entertaining puzzle games.

Arcade ports: There was a lot of them like Galaga, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man and Centipede. If you are into old school arcade games, then the NES has some great ports of some classic games.

Bad stuff: Like every system, there are some stinkers. (Heroes of the Lance, Hydlide, Deadly Towers, Jaws, Total Recall, Captain Planet etc) but luckily the good games outnumber the bad ones.

Like I say before games usually make or break a system and the NES has so many fun games that'll keep you entertained for hours. Games get a 10/10.

Fun Time: The NES gave me endless hours of fun! The games kept me playing and playing for hours. When I think of the NES in this decade, I think about fun games and a way to keep busy on a rainy day.

Should you buy this system or forget this system: If you never had an NES, I recommend you buy this now! It's a good system with fun games that will keep you busy for hours and hours. The system should be around 20-50 dollars and the games should be about 5 bucks a piece.

The Wrap-Up (Give me numbers!)
Graphics:9/10
Sound/Music:10/10
Control:10/10
The Games: 10/10

Grand Total:9.75 rounded to a 10 for Game FAQS

Conclusion: The NES is the one system that started the popularity of gaming. Without this system, we wouldn't have the great systems of today and video gaming would of died off by 1984/1985 because of the Video Game Crash, but thankfully, that didn't happen. This system is worth every penny and it's great for the average old school gamer and even good for a modern gamer. Go get this now!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/06, Updated 08/06/08

Game Release: Nintendo Entertainment System (Version 1 Front Loader) (US, 08/31/85)