Review by nightmare_zero6

"This is not a review of the port, rather of the game inside of the port."

Ahh yes, another review of the popular Final Fantasy VII. Some love the game, some hate the game. I have recently joined the group of people who love it. There are plenty of reasons for this. I will get to those now.

It takes a while to get past the blurryness of some of the graphics in the port, but once you get past it you have a world of pretty well designed characters. They look a little odd, in the SD form, but still, they are pulled off well enough that you can tell the difference.

There are also FMV sequences throughout the game that look pretty nice too. Nice for its time, however. Now, we have Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, and FFXII to blow it out of the water. But still, for the time, it was good.

Music: 9/10
Let me say...you can definitely tell that Nobuo Uematsu. It all sounds just plain BEAUTIFUL! Again, for the port, the music kind of had to take a hit as far as quality goes, (I never thought Id play through an entire game with midi-file music). If you want the full experience, play the PSX version, but even for someone who cant find it the PC version SLIGHTLY delivers.

I honestly never thought Id find a story in an RPG that captivated me as much as Tales of Symphonia did. This proved ME wrong. The whole plotline is full of twists and turns, some you may see coming, others will absolutely blow you away. Even the ending has its own twist.

The story begins through the eyes of a mercenary named Cloud. He has joined an organization called AVALANCHE, which is a group of eco-terrorists fighting the evil Shinra corporation, who is using the life energy of the Planet to deliver energy to the citizens of the planet.

In the outset, Cloud and AVALANCHE are on a mission to destroy one of the reactors that releases the energy of the Planet, commonly called Mako. All the while, a long-thought dead warrior has returned, and he demands retribution.

A cast of unforgettable characters and a rollercoaster storyline will keep you captivated until the end.

The game has some of the best customization I've seen in the series (I still have yet to play XII). Through the use of Materia, you can give your characters pretty much any kind of magic and other commands you want. Finding what combinations work best for you is half the fun!

The game still uses the ATB system, which means the battles are active through the use of time gauges that fill up over time. Once the gauge is full, you can use your command for that character.

One thing that is new to the game is the inclusion of Limit Breaks, which allow you to unleash an extremely powerful attack on your enemies when the gauge is full. The gauge is filled up as you take damage.

Control/playability: You decide.
You can map the controls in whatever way works for you, so its naturally going to be a 10. The defaults are on the keypad, so unless you have a laptop (like I did at first), you shouldnt have any problems with the controls of the game.

Difficulty: Moderately Easy
I'll admit. This is the second easiest Final Fantasy I've finished (first goes to the remake of the original on the GBA). So anyone who is decent at RPGS shouldn't have many problems tackling this game.

Lasting Appeal
The game itself is approx. 30 hours long. Your playthrough may differ from mine. I'm fairly certain I'll want to pick it up again in the future.

In conclusion, I have to agree with those that say this is a great game. Greatest RPG ever? Theres no way to say that. We still are getting new RPGs, and its possible that this game can be surpassed. But still, I believe that this is a great game, and believe that there are two types of people who hate it.

A: The one who played through and beat it, and just disliked it. I tip my hat to those people who have at least played it before they decided that they disliked it.

B: The one who hates it because of its popularity. We see plenty of those every day. Seriously, go to the Poll of the Day board and say that this is a great game, and you'll get flamed like there's no tomorrow. And then some.

Would I recommend this game? Depends on who I'm talking to. If its someone who likes RPGs, then yes, I would recommend this to any RPG fan who hasn't played it yet. But I don't think of myself as stupid enough to recommend this to someone who doesn't like RPGs.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and I hope I have somehow influenced you to play this masterpiece.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/06/07