Review by Gaian

"Square at it's best"

Final Fantasy VII was the first Final Fantasy Square created for the Playstation, but since I don't have a Playstation I bought the computer version instead. This version is a port of the original PSX version and has the odd changes in it, not very big. I have not played the PSX version don't except any comparisons between the two. This is just a simple review based upon this game.

I will try to keep it in time period as much as possible as well. For example if the graphics aren't up to par with today, that's fine! No marks gone. Why? Because it was
created in 1998. Understand? Good.

Story 10/10

Final Fantasy VII has one of the best stories I have ever experienced in a video game. Absolutely fantastic. If I could I would give a 100/10 for the game's story. Being a final fantasy it tells a deep and weaving tale with all the twists and turns you would (or wouldn't) expect it to have. It is incredibly in depth and will have you playing for hours upon hours.

In a literature perspective on it, the story is best at it's interweaving times. For example, at the beginning of the game there are a lot of questions about the characters and just what is going on. As you progress things become clearer and clearer until you learn one more thing and everything falls into place. Absolutely amazing Squaresoft.

Gameplay 10/10

Final Fantasy VII, being a Final Fantasy, is obviously an RPG. If it wasn't obvious before, now it is. The mechanics of the game include Items, Attack, Defend, Magic, Summons, and the newest edition (now in many newer FF's) the Limit Break.

The Limit Break is a special gauge that builds up as you take damage in battle. Once it reaches it's limit then that character can perform an amazingly strong (not to mention visually pleasing) attack on one or several enemies.

Another feature to the games is the summon system. By gathering special summons throughout the game, characters are able to call upon them in battle. These summons are large animal like creatures that can attack, heal, or do both.

In terms of game mechanics on the PC, it is quite easy to play. Even if you don't like the pre-set keys for playing, Square has added the feature of key assignment so that you can choose any layout of buttons you wish. Put this all together and you have some of the greatest game mechanics the world has ever seen.

Graphics 9.9/10

FF VII contains beautiful worlds, stunning battle sequences, and outstanding FMVs. Lush colour and textures fill every second of game play. In all the game there is only one problem; the character model on the world map. Whenever you are solving puzzles or walking around through the game and are not in battle, you walk around as a blocky version of Cloud (the game's main character). By today's standards it looks absolutely horrible, I myself was shocked to see it. However you eventually get used to it and it doesn't matter quite so much. But that is the only problem visually this game has.

Sound 10/10

Final Fantasy VII has some of the most magnificent songs I have ever heard. It ranges from roaring battle themes, to more gentle music for dramatic or romantic moments. Some of the best themes ever written in my opinion. The other sound effects are also up to par. Nothing special however.

Replayability 10/10

I have played this game over and over and over again. I cannot get tired of it. The compelling story, beautiful graphics, and fantastic sound will have you coming back for a long time. Definitely something you will always remember.

Overall 10/10

Amazing game. That's all there is to say. I have yet to come across a better RPG. It just can't be beaten. Buy it now if you don't already have it. You're done the review what are you waiting for?

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/03, Updated 05/05/03