Review by herocatholic

"One of the best games I have ever played in my life"

This is the top of my games list, and I hope it will be yours too. This game is unbelievable to imagine what is left in store for Squaresoft. Everything about this game is perfection.

The Characters- You have a total of 9 playable characters in the series. The main one being, Cloud Strife. These 9 characters can be interchanged (Cloud is required to be in your party) with each other to mix and match abilities, limit breaks, magics and the like. Each character is special and unique in their own way and their dialogue represents the characters flawlessly. If you have a 16-year-old character, she will act like a 16-year-old. It's that simple and makes the game more realistic. I even name my characters after my friends because they have similar personalities. Sephiroth is by far the greatest villain in game history.

The Plot- Very original. It's basically about this mysterious guy trying to save the world and fight his own demons in the process. Sounds cliche, I know, but it upholds it's value. The dialogue in here is fantastic (as I mentioned before). It's easy to understand and very enlightening.

Battle system- This is a very easy battle system. You have options and you choose what to use. You can fight, use magic of any kind, steal, manipulate, morph enemies into items, mimic your teammates moves for faster defeat, you can use items, and much much more.

Graphics- Although they cannot compare with later Final Fantasy games, this game has great graphics. Back in 1997, this was the first 3-D RPG game on the market. Now, they are block characters, but that's okay. Back then, a block character was great becuase at least it was 3-D. This was the revolution of the gaming industry for RPG's and we have Final Fantasy VII to thank us for that. I do not take these graphics for granted.

Magic system- This is a very tedious part of the game. You have a substance called materia and u have slots in your weapons and armor. You put these materia in the slots to gain magical abilities. There are 6 different types of materia: command, summon, magic, support, enemy skill, and other. Command materia lets you use certain commands in battle such as morph, mimic and steal. Summon materia let's you use summons to help the battle go faster. Magic materia is the basic magic such as cure, fire, ice, and lightning. Support materia helps enhance the effects of materia. Enemy skill materia is a "blue magic" materia that you can get other enemy skills from. And other is random materia such as, counter, chocobo lure, long range, etc. You have to get the levels of your magic up by keeping them in the sockets, but it's worth it after a while.

Music- The music here is superb. The music was made by the legendary Nobuo Uematsu who did all the music for the Final Fantasies up do date (as far as I know). Great themes for each of the characters. The Battle music is a blast. The boss music is awesome. You can't get enough of this music. I have the soundtrack for this game and it relaxes me because it's so great.

Challenge- This game is pretty easy. I'll admit it. You do not need to level up much and the higher your level, the harder your villains. In short, a level 30 Cloud will have an easier battle than a level 70 cloud. But, there are other challenges that one can make for the game. For example, one can say, "No Materia" challenge, which means you will depend on items only for some kind of magic damage.

Replay value- A LOT! You will keep playing this game for the rest of your life. To me, this game isn't boring. The mix and match of characters isn't parallel and there is no way the fun can end with this game. As I said above, you can make your own challenges.

Time of game- This game will probably take about 30-40 hours of game time if you go straight through the game without leveling up much.

Overall: 10/10. Practically flawless and one of the best games Square-Enix came up with. The Final Fantasy series, in my opinion, started degrading after that, but this, and Final Fantasy VI/III will always be at the top of my list.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/04