Review by tronyald22

"Manage your own Theme Park...kinda"

Roller Coaster Tycoon. A beginning of a new realistic video game series for your PC.

This game is centered on capturing every element of a theme park and forming it into a video game with tons of different options and settings. Although this game is playable, there are just some things that sort of almost ruin the whole realistic side of the game.

Let's start with the good parts. What I've noticed lately while playing the game was the quality. For 1999, the game does seem to be always working properly. You can play the game for long periods of time and not have the games glitch out like crazy; it seems that was a common problem for games back then, especially for the PC. The amount of options for this game is also very good. The fact that you can customize almost ANYTHING in the game, (Walkways, Colors, Entry Fees, Roller Coaster Tracks, etc.) is what really made the game so popular in the first place. The re playability is obviously perfect because with each park comes a different objective, and with the completion of each objective comes more unlockables. But THAT is what leads me into the not-so-great parts of this game.

The objectives can be quite annoying at times. Some of them are very short and simple, and others are just too much. Because the objective system works by years, the margin of some the objectives are HUGE. You'll eventually encounter both types of objectives, and maybe end up completing both in the end, but you could end up like I did and actually delete a park right away and start a new one if the objective is too huge, in fear of losing after the mounds of work you just did. It would've been better to just keep the same objective for a park no matter how many times you restart. The one other thing about this game: What happens if you lose. If you do not complete your objective, there's really nothing left to do. No other goals are set afterwords. You're just left to do whatever under no pressure at all. You could have hundreds of dollars IN DEBT and it really won't change a thing. So if you lose, just start over immediately...I guess...

So that's my thoughts on RollerCoaster Tycoon. It's a fun game, really I recommend it, but some of it will probably annoy you a bit. Hope you enjoy it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/26/10

Game Release: RollerCoaster Tycoon (US, 12/31/99)