Review by _Genesis

"Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor Review"

Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor was one of many Might and Magic games created by New World Computing and published by 3DO. It is an incredible Role Playing Game experience unlike no other of its time and is only available on PC. But does it live up to its predecessors?? Well… we are about to find out.

First off, the Graphics… Sure, they're not the best for their time, but don't go forgetting that this game is absolutely HUGE. There is so much to do in this game, I dot really think the graphics should really matter all that much! And while they are not brilliant, they are not the worst out there. They are perfect for the game, and really, that is all that matters.

But graphics wise… I do have one “pet peeve” … I have played a lot of Might and Magic games (MM6, 7, 8 and 9, to be precise) and one thing I have taken into account when playing is that Might and Magic VI has the best graphics out of all of them.. And it was released a year or so before M&M VII. So, I do feel the developers could have put a little more effort into the graphics… However, back to my original statement… They do happen to suit the game perfectly.

The game play is great and simple to master. It is, like all other Might and Magic's, a point and click game quite simply, but can also be play pro-dominantly with the keyboard, with the help of a few hot-keys here and there and the good old space bar to interact with objects and buttons. Another great thing about the Might and Magic series is that the battles system can be played in either of two ways. Real time or Turn based. Turn based combat is probably best for many, as it allows the player time to think out strategies for the battle at hand, and real time is used more for running around and just taking out a lone foe with little effort.

As said before, there is so much to do in this game. There are many, many regions to go and explore, and so much to find, such as ancient artifacts and what not.

Just like all of its predecessors, Might and Magic VII features an enhanced Character and Class creation system, where you choose race, stats and skills. This alone adds a great amount of replay value, as keen RPG gamers always want to find great teams and combos, which are good for just about any situation…

… Or maybe that's just me!

The sound is great for the game, and is used exactly where it is needed. When an enemy, or you for that matter, attacks, you will hear the sword swing, staff hitting or arrow fly towards your enemy. You will also hear in combat enemies such as Bandits and Swordsmen grunting as they attack you, which is a pretty cool feature, which not many games of its time would have had.

When you are at a tense time in the game… You guessed it! Cue the tense, overly dramatic music which we all love to hear! Its top quality, and really fits into the scene extremely well… Actually… better than a lot of Role Playing Games… and trust me, I have played a lot of RPGs. The sounds are definitely better than earlier Might and Magics, which is good, and to be expected from a sequel.

Might and Magic VII has a great replay value, well, at least in my opinion anyway. It allows you to do many quests differently, and also has different endings dependent on how you choose to play the game, as either a good team, or bad. You get to choose whether to take the path of light, or path of darkness on your play-through, of which both lead to different class promotions and enhancements. So, an avid RPGer should want to try both ways at least once, and get to experience their favourite.

In conclusion, I would have to say that, as much as I love this game, if you are looking for an amazingly detailed – story driven RPG, then look elsewhere. But I still recommend Might and Magic VII to any keen Role Playing Gamer, as it is a very enjoyable game once you properly get into it.

I give Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor a 8/10. Whats that? You have just spent a whole review telling me that this game is incredible?!

Yes, Yes I have and well... It is an incredible game, considering how old it is. But, there could have been more. Graphics wise, Might and Magic VI was better, and well… since when did a prequel that was released a year or so before its sequel game have better graphics?? The game is very good… Im just not sure that it deserves a full 10/10, as a lot more open world RPGs have come and gone, and have done better in places where this game could have improved.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/12/09, Updated 07/27/09

Game Release: Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor (US, 05/31/99)