Review by trev913

"The power of sequals.....its amazing"

Here we have the 3rd game in the Half-Life story. Well, not exactly the 3rd game, technically the second because Team Fortress Classic was bassically an expansion pack. This game takes an interesting look at the other side of the Black Mesa story. With a very interesting story to revolve around. At first, because of the lengthy intro, (it's like 5 minutes long) and the amount of hardness and action, I thought this game didn't deserve anything except for a very nasty letter to Seirra. But, I decided to give the game some time, and in the process, discovered that this game wasn't crap, yet it was another masterpiece in the making. If Half-Life was excellent, than this was close to better. Since it was based upon a Game of the Year and built using the same engine, I'm sure that if you buy it, you'll like it. And now, for the ''broken down'' review of Opposing Force.

Gameplay-10/10-This is one of the funnest games that I've seen in a long time. From runnning down the hall beating the crap out of scientists with your crowbar, to watching that fat guy shoot that alien and say something along the lines of ''Wow, wish that one could go on my mantle.'' This game has it all. And, the good thing is that even if you kill everything in the level (scientists included), you won't fail the mission. You only fail the mission when you die, and then start over at the point of your last save. Which can be bad in a way too, if you are falling from some high point, and your system slows down the tiniest bit, it means that it did an autosave. Then, you probably have to start over from your previous save.

Story-10/10-Best story since the original. You start off in a helicopter (at least that's what they look like) headed towards Black Mesa. This mission is so confidential that they won't even give you your orders till you reach Black Mesa. When all of the sudden...you'll just have to find out for yourself. This point is where you go out and buy the game. But, I'll leave you with this: it's gonna be a long and hard ride.

Audio and video-10/10-Probably the games strongest point. The audio rules. The video rocks even harder. The only bad thing is that the video (FMV's/Cinema's) are usually long. As in 2-5 minutes. That may cause some problems for slow PC's. (as in less than 500MHZ) But thats not a problem for me.

Replayability-9/10-As I said in my Half Life review, this game is so long and confusing, with so many twists and turns, that by the time you finish, you will probably have forgotten what started the whole fiasco in the first place. So, in other words, this game is worth replaying until it goes out of style or until you get Counter-Strike ;).

The end summary for this game-I will now presume to say what I have in all of my other Half-Life reviews, buy it, steal it, do whatever you have to to get a copy within the reach of your paws. This game has made an excellent addition to my Half Life collection and my game collection. As I am sure it will do to yours. Happy Gaming!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/19/01, Updated 07/19/01