Review by acidslayer57

"A solid, yet a little lacking expansion pack for Half-Life"

Opposing Force is the expansion pack for Half-Life, that's common knowledge. It's also common knowledge that you play as Adrian Shepard in Opposing Force who is a marine sent into Black Mesa to destroy everyone
who knows about the accident that happened there. Does this expansion
offer more to the Half-Life Story or is it a flop? Read on.

Meh. Where to begin. Listing the pros first, I will continue into detail.

First of all, the game has amazing level design, as the original Half-Life does. The levels seem to flow and you rarely will get stuck in
the game (even though I did need a slight hint every once in awhile.)
If you played through the original Half-Life you should know your way around pretty well, as most of the level design is similar to that. Well that's good for the level design, but really, being TOO much like Half-Life kind of makes it seem repetitive don't you think? I do.
First of all the new enemies are a real kick in the face. They look great have great AI and stuff. Playing through the game on hard mode was a bit frustrating because it just seemed unfairly hard sometimes. Certain enemies in the game just have amazing aim, and you will only a little life at a time, will die more often then you should in any game. This also happens with enemies that are too powerful. Many enemies can kill you with one hit, and have such an annoying amount of life that you will end up with little ammunition.
The weapons are something I have great things to say about. There
are a lot of new weapons. A load. Instead of the previous ten or eleven guns, you get about sixteen or seventeen. Maybe more. The weapons are inventive and sometimes creepy. It's too bad certain weapons become extinct when new ones are found. The addition is in general liked, but when it comes confusing to find the correct gun you want, you know you want a easier weapon switching system. A minor disadvantage to a great thing.
One last thing, even though I said the level designing is ingenious, which in the scheme of things and the one massive level to explore, it is ingenious. When you find an impenetrable barrier, go into a vent, then break that barrier, and continue that about four times, you know it's time for a new way of getting around. Heh, minor detail.

The story of Adrian Shepard is cool. You just have to know that. Similar to Half-Life the game has only a few moments when you are not physically playing the game. This also adds a lot the story by putting you directly into it. It's just great overall, the way they tell it is
interesting, and the overall idea of giving you a soldier's view of the Black Mesa incident is just cool. Little Cameo appearances of Gordon Freeman also help the game's depth.

Graphics/ Sound: 9/10

As far as visuals go they are great for their time. Same stuff here as Half-Life. The year '99 was a good one in graphical advancements.
The sound has a great feeling to it. Also, note that the developers added a track of intense sound in only the most intense moments of the game. They don't really take away from the game, but don't add to it either. You would still feel the same amount of suspense and pressure without them as the original game was, music less.

Replayability: 4/10

The shortness of this game is its largest downfall. It is only about 5-6 hours of gameplay. Also, It is slightly replayable. I played the game through all the way only once, I played the original three times in all difficulties. I skipped easy and normal and went into hard. Heh. It's a little below average in replayablility.

Bottom Line:

Graphics/ Sound: 9/10
Replayability: 4/10

Average Score: 7.25 rounded down to 7.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/03