Review by timmypod

"Great, even better than Hot Pursuit"

I've been playing the Need For Speed series since they came out, and, I have to say, this is the most impressive version yet.

Graphics 10/10
The graphics in this game are the best of all the games. High Stakes supports high resolutions and looks very good, even on a relatively slow computer. I ran this game on a P1 200mghz computer with a Voodoo3 and a good amount of ram, and it ran great at 800x600. However, My system had Windows 95, and this game didn't work as well above that resolution. Every time I tried to play at a higher resolution, there would be no sound and the controls would almost not work at all, then usually the game stalled. But I won't count this against the game, because it was my operating system's fault. Another error that may be because of my operating system is the fact that the mouse didn't really work at all, so I needed to use the keyboard, which is fine for me.

Music 10/10
I really enjoyed the music in this game. It was mainly techno stuff, and there was lots of it! You can customize how you want it played, and all that jazz. You can arrange the music by the different types, or have no music at all. There's support for Dolby Surround.

Sound 9/10
The sounds in NFS:HS are pretty good. There's some good as usual tire squealing sounds as well as a variety of sounds when you hit diffent walls or hit the ground from a jump.

Gameplay 9/10
The gameplay is better than the other games in this series, because now there is a real career! You can buy different cars as you earn money, or you can upgrade cars you currently own. You can earn money through doing the races as well the new option, ''High Stakes.'' This is a one race, well, race against one other computer player. Winner takes the other's car. Cars also get damaged and must be payed to be repaired. The more they are damaged, the more it will affect their handling, speed, suspension, and such. The game has good support for steering wheels and pedals and the like. I used a V3 Racing Wheel and had no difficulty.

Replay 10/10
Almost all racing games have a high replayability (if that's a word), and this is no exception. Plenty of things to do multiple times, such as the Hot Pursuit (the thing that made NFSIII such a great game). If you don't know what it is, it is when you can be the cop and arrest speeders, or you can race with others and try to outrun the cops. It's especially fun switching to different cop cars or setting spike strips and road blocks.

Overall 10/10
This game is very good, and worth the $20 I spent on it. However, it may cost more or less than that, of course. It depends on where you bought it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/22/03, Updated 06/22/03