Review by Kakarot181

"A Great Sequel to a Great Game"

Freespace 2 takes place about 3 decades after the end of the original game, and is one of the best game sequels of all time. In case you don't know, there are at least three species living in the Freespace universe. The Terrans who live in a forced exile from Earth, the Vasudans who have recovered remarkably from a previous war in which their homeworld was destroyed, and the Shivans who are solely focused on killing any species that they meet. There was a fourth species, called the Ancients in this game, but they were wiped out 8,000 years ago by the Shivans. The Terrans and Vasudans have formed an alliance called the GTVA (Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance) and are fighting a war with the Neo-Terra(n) Front (NTF), an organization that hates Vasudans and any interspecies alliance. You are a rookie pilot on board the GTD Aquitaine, and your mission is to defeat the NTF rebellion while remaining vigilant against another possible Shivan invasion. But that's enough for the game's history, let's get down to what you came here for; a review!
Considering that I was a major fan of the first Freespace and that I had high expectations for this game, I was almost positive that Freespace 2 would be a major letdown; yet, this game passed almost everyone of my hopes. The graphics are much more stunning and realistic then in the original. Ships, weapons, explosions, and even the background are in beautiful detail and seem like they're really there. The sound effects have improved from the original game and the musical score is perfect. The voice acting is very well done, and considering that this game was made in my hometown of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, I even recognized some of the voices from local TV and radio! The gameplay is just as good as the original, yet with better ships to fly, the game is even more fun to play. The variety of missions range from light recon to heavy bombing and the ships range from the fast yet fragile Pegasus to the slow yet very powerful Ursa. There is a greater variety of capital ships as well, with the addition of the Corvette-class ships to the lineup instead of just the Destroyer and Cruiser-classes. There are also two more ships of an entirely different class that I won't talk about now, but trust me.... your jaws will drop when you see them.
However there is only one small negative about this game, it's plot is less realistic then the original. The entire first CD and most of the second seem very plausible, but the plot somewhat falls apart at the end. Don't get me wrong, I found the very last mission to be one of the best in the game, yet it just didn't seem to flow with the rest of the story. Despite that, I strongly urge everyone to buy this game as soon as they play the original Freespace.

OVERALL SCORE: 9/10