Review by CDuke

"An old game but buy it while you wait for the 3rd!"

Introduction:
I'm writing this review sometime before Thief 3: Deadly Shadows, this is for people who have not yet got this game and want a bit of Garrett's deep. Dark. History.

Hmm... This is hard to do, the graphics are great for the day but are very dated now. Mind you this is no way a deciding factor anymore because it would be stupid to judge a game this old on graphics. All I can say is that if you can't stand old graphics then this is not a game for you, you'll have to wait for the third one.

The sounds is old, again. But it is great. The sound effects are solid and the grunts of guards and Garret fit in to the thief universe perfect. The voice acting is amazing, it is funny eavesdropping Hammerite conversation and hearing guards grumble about there pay. The odd snide Garrett comment gives him deep character.

The best stealth gameplay your going to find. Play on normal if you are unsure, as this game is very difficult at the best of times. It is generally very satisfying sneaking up behind guards to give them an early sleep. The shadows are your friend and although the game is old it is still nice looking. You can guess where you are in the world at a glance. Anyway, where was I. The gameplay does not wait for anyone, the AI is decent and not surpassed by the latest stealth games, they will hunt you down and add a good dent to your head. Turn up the volume and this can be a shock, your creeping around and suddenly you hear a shout and WHAM! coffee everywhere, you swearing. The storyline is very good and twisted, it helps if you have played through the previous game though. If you are thinking of an easy ride at anytime, you are sadly mistaken, this game is extremely difficult to finish, many hours, many tactics. A bag full of fun, has not been beaten for immersing gameplay.

Long Term: 9/10
This game will take a long time to complete, especially if you are trying expert mode. And if you get bored or you think your so good for completing it, there are hundreds of fan made missions to download and you can make your own. I think this is the game that I have played the most in my life.

Pros:
+ Unbeaten stealth gameplay
+ Very very cheap to buy!
+ Great storyline and almost unlimited play!!
Cons:
- Looks very dated
- Does not work on all PCs
- Can be frustratingly hard!

A great game, even if it is old. I suggest you pick it up before the third one comes out. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/04