Review by StubbyWL

"A very poor sequel and mediocre game at best"

I played original Master of Orion and Master of Orion 2 way back when I was a little kid when they first came out. I have to say I enjoyed them immensely as there's something compelling about having control about your whole empire and going around researching new technology and uhh... wiping out alien species ^^ (I always played quite... genocidal). When I found out Master of Orion 3 was coming out about a month ago I was quite excited as fond memories came back, but the day after I got the game I realized I had wasted $60 on a very poor game.

The graphics are horrible. If it were just graphics for graphics sake I would give it a 1 or 2, but in a space simulation game (4X they call it) graphics aren' eh most important... the problem is, the graphics are BARELY a step up from MOO2 and the implementation of them is worse. They just don' fit and pull you into the game. The battle graphics are laughable, they are tiny tiny dots on a black background shooting little colored lines at each other... exciting. So I give it a 4 because in this type of game.. it doesn't matter that much, except in MOO3 it hurts the gameplay because of the horrible feedback.

Battle sounds are decent, and can't complain about much else... average at best, there aren't very many sounds anyway, just menu closing/opening and buttons really. Though the sounds get really annoying after a while.

Music: N/A
Very little to no music so I don't think it should play a part in this review.

Quicksilver tried to make this a ''revolutionary'' game I believe with less micromanagement and more of a ''broad view'' of your empire. They did not accomplish anything at all. Basically you could not touch anything and hit the turn button and the computer would do EVERYTHING for you, research, build up planets, build ships, colonize planets... etc. etc. You have almost no control at all, you CAN turn off certain things, but even then the computer takes over part of it, and the most ''effecient'' way is to let the AI do it (except ship building.. they just mass troop ships...)

Diplomacy is a laugh as the other races randomly offer treaties, declare war, and then make peace... with nothing about why they are doing it, they just say ''I don't like you'' one turn, then ''I love you'' the next...

Battles are boring and impossible to tell what is going on (due to graphics im part).

Everything about the game is subpar and definately not up to today's standards in gameplay, graphics, music, or presentation (the UI is the worst I have ever seen, even worse than Gothic). Very poor game, and very disappointing.

Final score is 3, not an average, just what I feel the game deserves.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 02/28/03, Updated 02/28/03