Review by Braben

"My all time favorite strategy game."

After starting a revolution with Dune II, Westwood continued it with this legendary masterpiece. Command & Conquer is one of those things that (unlike Madonna for example) never gets old, it was fun five years ago, it is fun now, and it is going to be fun until the day contamination finally turns out our once beautiful planet into a trash can.

The plot here involves the GDI forces (the good ones) struggling against the Brotherhood of Nod (the bad ones), who wants to make everyone get on their knees and start adoring their leader, a mad (and bald) guy called Kane.
The story is presented entirely in spectacular cinematics performed by real actors, this adds a lot of realism to the game and makes everything look a lot cooler.

The gameplay is like an enhanced version of Dune II, first of all you will have to find a good place to place our base, fill it with enough power plans to obtain energy, and then start to look for tiberium to start training soldiers and making vehicles to start kicking your enemy’s butt. Fortunately this time we won’t have to build cement blocks after placing our structures anymore. This is what we will have to do most of the time, but there are also some missions that involve rescuing somebody, sabotaging something (with a totally badass commando with C4 charges and a rifle that makes soldiers die like flies, then he laughs every time something explodes, that is real man!), or infiltrating somewhere.

Each band has its good and bad points, but overall the Nod forces are the best, because their obelisks, invisible units, and nuclear missiles are the best weapons in the game, and they can only be made by them, they are way more powerful than any other GDI structure (excepting for those beasts that are the Mammoth tanks).

The music rocks, there are 25 different music tracks, and while some of them and considerably better than the rest, in general all of them set the mod perfectly for the battle. The unit’s voices get very repetitive because almost all of them have the same ones, but they are very good. The graphics are very good too, the units are not that detailed but overall all of them look very nice, and the backgrounds are splendid.

That’s it, for me this is the best real time strategy ever made, it is fast, furious, and bloody fun. I’m off to conquer something.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/16/03