Review by Knightlord

"Doom is still the King, but I love Duke Nukem 3D"

I first saw this game when I was 6. Imagine that. Hah. But my Dad eventually got rid of it. That made me mad, since, when he did, I was old enough to really appreciate gameplay and challenge. I got lucky. I downloaded it. And I still love it to this day.

Story 8/10
Pretty cliche, but you don't play games for the story. (If you do, you, sir, are no gamer.) Aliens have invaded and shot up your spacecraft while you were almost home. Now, you're P.O.'ed, and they're gonna get owned. It's on!

Graphics 9/10
Not too bad. Slightly more improved by Doom, and if you can play in high-res, then you've got it made.

Sound 9/10
The music is good, and the voice acting is pretty funny. A milestone of my childhood has always been when you blow an enemy up, Duke says "Heh heh heh, what a mess." Gold. The other effects are pretty good. Aliens growls, explosions, and all that other stuff.

Gameplay 10/10
Absolutely awesome. It clearly uses Doom as a source, so it starts off great, and it throws in some new elements, and by elements I mean weapons and enemies. Run and gun through three episodes (I've heard of a fourth, but haven't gotten it.), and let nothing stop you. There are 10 weapons, from your foot to the pistol, shotgun, chaingun, RPG, shrinker ray, pipe bomb, devastator, trip bombs, and freeze gun. There are lots of items, too. I say again, the one thing I love about this game that Doom doesn't have is the voicing. I mean, come on, what's cooler than Duke coming up into a stadium where the huge big, bad boss is, and saying "It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak!". Total gem.

Buy or Rent
I loved this game, and I know you will too. Buy it and enjoy it. NOW!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/06