Review by Doodleheimer

"BANG BANG BOOM BOOM SPLAT SPLAT"

Duke Nukem 3D is a First-Person shooter from 3D Realms, formerly known as Apogee Games. It revolutionized FPSs when it came out, and spawned mediocre Duke Nukem sequel after another.

This game kicked major ass when it first came out. It is a sweet 3D FPS with plenty of creative weapons and innovative FPS options. It has 3 worlds, with at least 7 levels in each. There are many creative guns in this game, including Ice Shooters and Shrink Rays. The enemies are creative, inventing the Duke Nukem trademark monsters called “Pig Cops”, which is probably a joke at cops themselves.

The game has a good deal of difficulty, but I bet most of you will wimp out and use cheat codes, you wussies! The game has some unique features to it, such as the ability to jump, which is pretty cool too. The game has some graphics, but some “images” are meant to appeal to geeky teenagers who can’t get girls. So I wouldn’t recommend this game to any more children.

The levels are unique and somewhat well-detailed, but I wanted the places to look more urbanized than abandoned. They all use the same graphical structure, which consists of furniture in every level that belongs in the lobby of a Motel 6. And for some reason all them look like they belong next to plants. One of my favorite things about this game is blowing up everything with my gun. They spend months putting detail in the game and I spend minutes shooting it up. The enemies also have unique designs to them, including killer octopuses that appear out of nowhere.

The music in the game is somewhat forgettable and doesn’t fit the stages well. The sound effects are good, and fit the game real well. Ah yes, the sound of aliens dying in the morning is a must for me to start the day right and regular. Duke Nukem’s voice is good, fits him perfectly, shows a lot of attitude, and talks like a typical movie action hero. One of my favorite quotes from him is “I’m gonna kick your ass and chew bubble gum, and I’m all outta gum.” Pokes fun at the Bruce Willises, Arnold Schwartzeneggers, and Jean-Claude Van Dammes of the movies.

Score Rundown-

Originality-7
Difficulty-8
Value-9

Score-76/100

Overall-8/10

Doodleheimer’s Recommendationitivity

It’s a fun and addicting shooter, and all should play this wonderful game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/02/01, Updated 05/20/02