Review by Braben

"Again the port is terrible, but the game unbelievable."

Final Fantasy VII for the PC for the was a total disaster in terms of sales, and no wonder!, what were they expecting if they release it like two years later?, and the same happens with this eight installment, it was released almost when Final Fantasy IX came out, or maybe even later, and then we have the fact that this port is not all that good , in terms of quality of course, because as a game, together with Final Fantasy VII, this is simply the best PC game ever.

Plot 10/10:
An amazingly beautiful tale of love with anthological characters and full of spectacular situations that you will never forget. If there is a PC game with a better plot that is only because Final Fantasy VII was also released for this system.

Graphics 10/10:
In this PC version, like in the Final Fantasy VII one, the graphics are better when it comes to show 3D graphics, but the backgrounds are still blurry because they are in low resolution, and it is impossible to change them. Thankfully the CG sequences are as good, so stunning that are hard to describe them with words, and the improvement from Final Fantasy VII is huge. The graphics are amazing anyway, because the way they are designed is a work of art.

Music 10/10:
Superb, Nobuo Uematsu was starting to fall, and that’s why Final Fantasy IX and X both had lame soundtracks, but he still does a great job here. You know a soundtrack is good when you can’t stop humming all the songs all the time, and that’s what I did with this game, haven’t you downloaded most of the songs of the game?, if you say no I DON’T believe you.

Gameplay 10/10:
Ok, I know that extracting magic from the enemies is not near as good as raising materia, and that upgrading weapons is not as fun as buying new weapons and armors, but saying the gameplay is bad is another stupidity, there are a lot of complex configurations to do with all the Guardian Forces abilities and the magic system. I am not going to talk about the gameplay because I already did that with the PSX review, but know that it rules.

The only real advantage you will get by playing this PC version is that you can play that chocobo mini game that in the PSX version was only possible with a Visual Memory, but this little game is not all that fun, in fact it is pretty boring, but you can get a special Guardian Force with it, I am not going to tell you which one, but while useless, it is a very funny one.

Overall:
Although this conversion, again, sucks, Final Fantasy VIII is too good to be true, all the no senses people say about it are just plain and ridiculous stupidities, it’s such an intriguing, deep, and involving game that you just can’t stop playing, you’ll be dying to see what is going to happen next, and you’ll only play to see what is going to happen. The word masterpiece is not enough to describe what is Final Fantasy VIII.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/02/03, Updated 02/13/04