Review by Rakothurz

"Get over here!"

Get over here!

Mortal Kombat 4 is a great game multi-player or singe-player this game has many, many fun hours in it.

Story - 1/10

Each character has a little story, nothing big but fighting games aren't notorious for having great stories are they?
Here's the background for the story

"Thousands of years ago, in a battle with the fallen elder god known as Shinnok, I was responsible for the death of an entire civilization. To rid all realms of Shinnok's menace, I waged a war that plunged the Earth into centuries of darkness and banished Shinnok to a place called the Netherealm. Now after Shao Khan's defeat at the hands of Earth's warriors, Shinnok has managed to escape his confines in the Netherrealm. The war is now being fought once again, only this time it can be won by Mortals."

Understand any of it? Neither do I. Let's move on.

Graphics - 7/10

For the time the graphics are great. The characters are represented in polygon goodness(Translation: it's in 3D). Being the first 3D Mortal Kombat you'd expect some graphic flaws but there's next to none. I have one thing to say that's bad about it. It's in 3D yet you can only side step. This adds no reason for the game to be in 3D. I'll get into the side-stepping a little later in the review.

Gameplay - 9/10

For those who've never played a Mortal Kombat game here's the lowdown. You take control of a person you fight another person using a variety of low and high punches and low and high kicks plus special powers and grapples. New to MK4 is weapons specifically designed for each character although you can mix and match. When you win you can activate gruesome looking finishers known as a "Fatality". Bascially Two weird looking people battling it out with strange yet cool superpowers.

This game has a awesome roster of characters that should appeal to anyone. There's a total of 15 characters, two bonus unlockable ones and an extra skin for any character. Each character has his or her own strategies and powers but the basic punches and grapples.

Replayability - 10/10

Replayability is where Mortal Kombat excels due to the different multi-player modes and singe-player modes such as Arcade(Fight enemies until you get to the boss), Endurance(Fight enemies until you die) or Tournament where you can set up your own matches. All these are in single-player and multi-player so the fun never ends.

Buy or Rent?

If you can find this game buy it. I doubt you could find it as a rent and the price should be cheap so Buy it Now.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/08/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat 4 (US, 07/31/98)