Review by tempoblade

"How many empires can you handle?"

Ever wonder what it would be like if aliens existed, living in other planets? Would we all live in peace and harmony, or would we try to exterminate each other, in a quest to find the superior race? Pax Imperia allows you to do both, in a game where you must survive in the Universe, or perish trying.

Gameplay: 8/10.
A rather simple game, where you colonize as many planets as possible, research a set technology, form alliances, and destroy your enemy. You could choose from a default race, or you could design your own species, making bold decisions that can cost you later in the game. Also, there is an upkeep system for your planets, where some planets actually cost you money inhabit. Even your ships can cause you misery in the treasury, as they cost a fortune to be built and a fortune to upkeep.

Story: N/A
There is no story, just conquer all of your enemies, or anyone who is neutral with you.

Battle System: 7/10

Rather boring once you get the ultimate technology, as you would sit there and watch your ships destroy all of the other ships and planets.

Audio/Video: 9/10

This game has excellent graphics for the year it came out. Considering I first got it in 1998, they are not top of the line, but they are good enough.

Replayability: 10/10

The best feature of this game is its replayability. As it has no story, there is no repetition of plot. It has many custom options, where you could chose a small universe of 2 0 stars or a large one of 100 stars. You could also choose how many races inhabit your universe, making it far more interesting than continuously bashing the same race. Also, the species design allows you to vary your species, from excellent constructors to the greatest warriors. An interesting factor within the character design is the fact that you could build flaws within your species, in order to boost your other characteristics. If you prefer to play with the default species, you will find a variety of strategies of each. Some rely on construction and economy, some rely on research, some rely on habitation, and some even rely on espionage, conquering races by overthrowing them.

To buy or Rent: I suggest buying it, as it is the only way to get a full feeling of satisfaction from it. You'll probably find it in the 10 dollar section anyway, as that is where I last saw it. That is, if it is still available.

If you are looking for a game to last, here is one.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/30/03, Updated 04/30/03