Question from brusslesgriffon

Why do I keep getting straw instead of grain ?

I am building grain farms and i keep getting mostly straw ..i am playing Cleopatra on PC ..my people are going hungry but i have storage yards full of straw

Each farm will always produce 100 straw in each harvest, but will produce an amount of grain depending on the number of workers and fertility of the land. If you have significantly more straw than grain, it means you have too many farms and not enough workers or that you are building farms in unfertile areas. The first issue can be fixed by building more Workers Guilds, assuming floodplain farms, setting agriculture as a higher priority for hiring workers or destroying some farms so each remaining farm gets more attention. The second issue can be fixed by relocating farms to more fertile areas.