Review by itchytasty96

"Awesome version of this classic"

Resident Evil was a smash survival horror hit on the PSX back in 1996, and it got a PC release in 1997. The PC version offered the uncut intro that the console version was lacking. The Director's Cut for PSX advertised that it was uncut but this was not the case. So to see the uncut version you will have to track down this release.

There's so much to say about what Resident Evil is and how it changed the gaming industry. I will focus on my own story with this game. I first played Resident Evil at a friend's house in 1997 and was promptly killed by the first zombie I encountered. I had no idea how the game worked, but I was instantly taken in by the atmosphere and the fact that this game was something "different" than your standard action/adventure game.

The storyline was pretty cool stuff for a game at that time. A virus leaks inside a creepy old mansion and turns everyone there into zombies...cool! The way the game's story unfolded through the in game movies and files you could read along the way was a really neat feature that made the game stand out. It really felt like an updated version of the old text adventure games...except this was presented 100 times better.

The static backgrounds and camera angles really added to the overall gameplay and kept you on the edge of your seat. The atmosphere inside the mansion and other areas are what really set the game apart. You can't go blasting everything because of the lack of ammo...instead you have to use your guns AND your wits to survive this time. The puzzles in the game are pretty basic and don't really stand out as anything special, but that's nitpicking an otherwise wonderful game.

Of course, I can't go any further without mentioned the voice acting! It's awesome. Cheesy and overacted but it really gives the game a charm and cheese factor that keeps this game interesting to new players even 17 years later.

Note that the PC version does not include the changes introduced in Director's Cut so only the original way to play the game is available here.

This PC version offers smoother looking graphics than the console versions, and you also won't need an ink ribbon to save in this version. Just walk right up to the typewriter and save. The game seems to move at a quicker pace, and the door loading animations can be skipped. This gives you the ability to finish the game faster than ever before. There's also 2 special guns that can be unlocked for Chris and Jill.

I was able to run this game on my XP computer and it works flawlessly. I'm not sure if it can run on a Windows 7 or 8 system so you might want to check that out. Resident Evil for PC is a great version of the classic survival horror and worth tracking down if you can!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/18/13

Game Release: Resident Evil (US, 09/30/97)